alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Woodland Mills HM130 arrived today  (Read 21954 times)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Woodland Mills HM130 arrived today
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »
Sawdust around a mill is pleasant to walk on and it keeps the frost from going as deep. Remember any mill worth owning is worth a roof over its head, a mill building should be high on the to do list. Frank C.

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 11:16:39 AM »
Yep, small shed to keep the sawhead covered is next on the list.  I have a 10x10 pop up canopy over it right now until I get that done.  Coastal rains here are hard on equipment that is left uncovered

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
Looks good with the sawdust on the ground.  I see a rake and shovel.  For cleanup?  I remember the piles of sawdust I made with the band saw and swing-blade mills.  Since we have city yard waste pickup I just put it on the street.  Those workers hate coming to my house.  Heavy sawdust, bark and other waste.  I'm doing my best to make strong men out of them.  Ha!

I lay a long skinny tarp on the sawdust side of the machine, just drag it off to a close by pile at the end of the day or when needed.

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
Looks good with the sawdust on the ground.  I see a rake and shovel.  For cleanup? 

No, just left there from leveling out the mill base.  When I clear some brush and fill that side in, I'll use my atv plow to push the sawdust away.

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »
I use a tarp like A.O. posted to help keep the sawdust from blowing all around the neighborhood and to help with cleanup.  Since I'm down to CSM work I use a 10x20 canopy that I picked up from Harbor Freight.  I can easily remove a middle leg to roll logs under the canopy. 
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »
Good idea, dan.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:35:09 PM by JrSawyer »

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
Question for you JR.. those logs on your deck seem pretty small, what do you cut out of them?

Offline JrSawyer

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
Those first dozen or so are 7-8'' diameter, they are perfect for milling into 4x4's.  Only takes a couple minutes per log to make 4 quick cuts and box the heart to get a nice 4x4. 

These logs are left from clearing small sections of land close to the mill site, so I decided to keep them to mill rather than turn into firewood.  Any trees I fall strictly for sawlogs I try to stay around 12'' and over.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
Those first dozen or so are 7-8'' diameter, they are perfect for milling into 4x4's.  Only takes a couple minutes per log to make 4 quick cuts and box the heart to get a nice 4x4. 

These logs are left from clearing small sections of land close to the mill site, so I decided to keep them to mill rather than turn into firewood.  Any trees I fall strictly for sawlogs I try to stay around 12'' and over.

Thanks, I'm actually looking to make a batch of 4x4's to put a roof over my saw and was thinking exactly that.. and it would get rid of some smaller trees I want to take down.
I try to keep my "regular" logs over that 12-14" minimum also..