alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Bigger logs  (Read 30095 times)

Offline Landroverbill

• New Contributor
Bigger logs
« on: March 31, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »
What do you guys do when you get a log that is bigger than you mill can take?

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
Re: Bigger logs
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
Folks use a chainsaw and split them in halve or quarters.  Never done it, but it looks like many have.  You can do a youtube search and find some examples.. what kind of saw are you running?

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
The chainsaw either free hand or with a CSM is the best way as was stated by the above response. 
I have only done it free hand and it is a PITA. 
Debating on trying the CSM method but it happens so rarely that I can't justify the cost.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 05:58:17 PM »
I just don't mess with it, you will spend too much time and risk damage to the mill, handling equipment and yourself. Frank C.

Offline Landroverbill

• New Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I've got a husky 385xp and a 36 inch bar. I'll try to quarter it. Any suggestion or tips would be appreciated.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
Not a problem if you have access to a Lucas!
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline starmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 05:12:31 PM »
I have not seen this done, but have read about the method. That is if your saw head will clear the log, then cut a slab off and just turn it a little and take a slice off, when you get through, you may have an 8 sided log or so that fits your mill.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I've got a husky 385xp and a 36 inch bar. I'll try to quarter it. Any suggestion or tips would be appreciated.
I should have worded the question (mill)? I could see you running down the top of the log full length, the roll the log 90 degrees and repeat, leaving you the quarter. Then repeat and repeat, as frank said, it could be a pita, but may be a good thing, 

Offline Landroverbill

• New Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
My mills are a lt 28 and an m7 logosol. So far, it seems I should either free hand quarter it or use the m7 and split it. The lt28 only will take a 32 in log, I think.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
In the past I've turned down some big logs, I mean 4+ foot diameter. all of them were white oaks, one was a walnut, riddled with metal.  The walnut had more purple heart than natural heart.  Hind sight, I would open that rascal up, back then I did not know of these forums, youtube, or anyone that had experience with this type of work.  Turns out folks have been splitting large logs for years, and I've seen some of it, just too late in the game for me.  If it were me now, I would layout a cross hair on both ends, after locating what faces I wanted, snap a line and get after it. worse thing that can happen? waste some time and fuel, and gain some firewood.

Offline Savannahdan

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »
After Hurricane Matthew I had to reduce some hickory logs down to manageable size.  I quartered them and in hindsight I wish I had used a Granberg mini mill (which I currently have).  That would have let me reduce the log down to a cant.  My other option at the time was to CSM the logs using the regular Granberg CSM mill.   At a quartersaw project last year Jake cut a log in half for the mill.  It didn't take too long for him to do it with just the chainsaw.
Logosol  M8 Farmers Mill, Granberg 30" & 56" CSM, Husky 3120xp, Makita DCS7901, Solar Kiln with Solar Fan, Axiom AR8 CNC

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
I'm really thinking of building some form a  gransburg? I saw a how to on youtube, it looked easy enough. I've never used a CSM, so I'm in the dark on it really. I suppose it boils down to what kind of tree, an what one want to get out of it. Taking one down to a manageable cant makes good sense, I suppose there are many avenues one could take.

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 06:19:53 PM »
I'm really thinking of building some form a  gransburg? I saw a how to on youtube, it looked easy enough. I've never used a CSM, so I'm in the dark on it really. I suppose it boils down to what kind of tree, an what one want to get out of it. Taking one down to a manageable cant makes good sense, I suppose there are many avenues one could take.

Hey DR, Good to see you here.  I know you sold your Woodmizer, still kicking myself in the ass for not being able to buy that one!  I used to have a CSM, and it was a lot of fun to run.  Mine was built on a track, kinda like a band mill.  I liked it a lot, but it took 4x the gas to get the wood I wanted.  I used a 066 with a skip chain,,, had plenty of power and rpm, but it takes a while to mill, and drinks the fuel.  On the plus side, sharpening the chain is a breeze.  Might be a little difficult on your back, sometimes pushing is a real killer.  I know that logosol has one with an electric feed, not to hard for someone with your experience to build.  i'm hoping to take a welding class where I teach, and I'd like to build a large slabbing mill when I'm done.  Lotsa wishing, I need the doing!
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline kbeitz

• Collector and builder of many things.
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 04:20:29 PM »
Cut a square hole in the trunk end of it and slide in a 20 ton jack...
Start splitting... Sometimes it sound like a cannon going off...
Home made band saw mill.
Machine shop.
Wood work shop.
Weld shop.
Collector of mechanical things