alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New guy  (Read 14187 times)

Offline woody

• Contributor
New guy
« on: May 23, 2018, 06:12:50 AM »
Just joined up, I may "know" many of you from other forums about the dorkey stuff we all like. (woods, tractors, lumber,firewood, heavy equip., etc) I don't know why but I use a different name on each of them, something about being (or attempting to) private when it comes to this interweb deal. No facepage or that BS for me and I still use a flip phone and for the most part, if it doesn't ring I'm having a good day!
 I've wanted a mill for,...... only about 30 years now and am thinking seriously about building one (bandmill). Then I get to thinking about the log handling part. (part of my enjoyment of all equipment is working all those cool levers that avoids hard work and hand tools) The track & saw are basic stuff & easy to build & copy from proven mills. Seen some nice builds on FF & AS and others, but I'm still & always learning and do not have a firm cozy feeling on my design and the required hydraulics for log turning. I have spent some time watching & a little operating of a friends WM but do not (from a structural point of view) like the cantilever design or all them ****ing electric "functions" and resulting issues.
I tend to watch & listen more than I speak especially when "speaking" with those that actually have experience in the topic.
My shop tend's mainly to the fab & welding side (vs. wood working or mechanical) as I never really urgently needed an end table as compared to fixing something that need'ed welding. I have a big hunk of woodland here in Maine and am mostly retired (building contr.) and enjoy tending to my property, building stuff in my shop & cutting firewood.
Looking forward to getting to know you all. If I can post a pic some of you may have seen my home made tractor winch/grapple I built a few years ago to ID me.

Look's like my pics are "too big". I use a digital camera set at "PC" and have no issues on any of the other forums.
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
Welcome, Woody.  Pic sizes have been increased from 75K to 100K.  As long as they are under the 100K it should work fine.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
Welcome, and look forward to seeing your pics!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
Repeat of the other's statements as well
Welcome

Om the picture front: just shrink them to less than 100K and you will be fine on the picture posting
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »
howdy woody,  glad to see you on here, but find it hard to understand how you can keep several handles for each of your forum accounts. I struggle with two, the other being my e-mail.  As to building a sawmill, hydraulics included, this is a good undertaking. Clearly doable, just a lot of design requirements.  An old acquaintance not far down the road built a nice manual from scratch, penny's on the dollar, not counting the Honda engine, but even then total was less than 1000 bucks. Anyway looking forward to seeing some action shots coming from your way. 

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »
Welcome, Woody.  Pic sizes have been increased from 75K to 100K.  As long as they are under the 100K it should work fine.

It's telling me that 40 is the max size on an error message?
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
I just went into play with photo upload as I had not done a photo upload since Kirk increased the size from 75k to 100K.

I shrank the photo to 101K and it gave me a message that it exceeded 100K.
I modified it to 99.5K and it uploaded just fine for me.

There are a couple of posts that walk you through photo posting and shrinking photos down in Kb size that you can try. 

Here is the 99.5K one that I just uploaded.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »
That deer is pissed off with those fresh tender young shoots in those grow tubes!
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »
That is why the tubes are on the WRC and the DF.  As hard as the deer are on the seedlings the elk are REALLY hard on them.
I need to update my thread on the reforestation work I am doing on that stand.

Here is a link to photo inclusive posting that I did a while back if you are still having issues.
http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,1671.0.html

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »
Thanks furu, but I'm getting an error message that pics are limited to 40kb and me & computers do not play well together. Pics make a forum imho, some of them I (being computer stupid) can just drag & drop pics. Never really got used to FF's "album" idea either.
Elk! where are you?
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »
Can you explain exactly what you are doing and how you are doing it to the best of your typing/web ability?

I am intrigued by the 40Kb message you are getting. 

Yes I agree the method that is used over on TBN and I think Welding Web are more drag and drop but this site's method is not bad once you get the hang of it.  It is the 40Kb that seems odd. 
What happens if you shrink to 40Kb and use it.  Does it work then?

Oh I forgot to answer your question.  Pacific NW.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 05:42:38 AM »
Can you explain exactly what you are doing and how you are doing it to the best of your typing/web ability?

I am intrigued by the 40Kb message you are getting. 

" to the best of your typing/web ability?" LoL aint much on the web part, typing is like picking beans, see it - touch it :D

I am on a Mac, "they" said how intuitive they are, yeah right! I didn't try to reduce it to 40 as I thought it would be no bigger than an avatar pic. and useless to view. I'll try it.
I am just learning how to handle & re size pics without screwing them up in my "library". I get pissed off fast with computers so I need to just walk away some times but I'll keep trying. Thanks for your patience.
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
still trying pics.
edit; I guess I got it although it's a very small size to look at. My tractor winch/grapple I built.
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 07:46:24 PM »
Looks interesting, the mouth on that is quite capable of getting a good size bite.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 06:31:32 AM »
Looks rugged and makes me wish I had one as well!  Good job
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 07:09:20 AM »
Nice build! mercy that snow looks kinda good and kinda bad all at  the same time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:, grapples are a good thing!

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 08:23:32 AM »
alot of times if you just cut the quality of the image the size drops tremondously. you do not need a 1200 dpi image for most of the stuff we are posting.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »
That's a good point which makes sense and one I had not thought of, which doesn't surprise me in the least.  Good catch, Crusarius.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
Taking the standard smart phone image and converting/resampling to 800x600 drops the file size exponentially and gives the picture dimension that I posted above.  I do find that I then have to save the file at a restricted 100Kb to meet the forum size requirements but it leaves a very nice photo for the purposes we post for.  The program that I use as mentioned in the link I posted above does that very easy and cleanly.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »
I'm using a little $100 camera with the pic "size" setting at "PC", I thought that might be for personal computer size sending ease. I only use a computer for forums, pictures, music & a little web surfing, they were not part of my work or schooling. The size works on all of the other forums I participate in.

Meanwhile, I just found a 1992 model 128 - 20' track MD saw on c/l about 5 miles from me. It's on a permanent trailer but from what I've read here on the MD/swing saw section it sounds expensive. I'll start a thread there, I've got a few questions.
https://maine.craigslist.org/hvo/d/mobile-dimensions-1992/6595181966.html
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline woody

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »
I'm back again. That MD "went away" and I finally found a mill back in August. It's a 20yo B-20 Timberking that was owned by a "hobby sawyer" that died. His son lovingly painted it and put a complete decal kit from Timberking on it along with all new hydraulic lines. The "package" included an unused automatic sharpener, dual tooth setter, 40 some blades and a bevel siding jig.
I have lot's to learn about sharpeneing ;D
So now that I have a mill I'll be participating with lot's of new guy questions.
TK B-20 and learning.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
Welcome back and congratulations on the mill.  If you have not yet done so register the mill with TK so that you are the acknowledged owner for anything that comes up.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »
Congrats and welcome back.  I've heard nothing but good things about those mills so I think you did well.