alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: FFA visit  (Read 10390 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
FFA visit
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:50:47 AM »
I will be having a group of FFA high schoolers visiting tomorrow, for 3 ors 4 hours.  They are interested in seeing my mill operation and all.  I would like to know what you think, someof the things I should speak about, should be.   ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: FFA visit
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
I dont know if talking does as much as hands on showing them how lumber is made! 

I got my annual FFA dinner invitation today ;D  We donate all the walnut for the FFA award plaques and each year they feed us well! 

I use a yellow restricted tape for them to stay behind when I mill and only after its shut down do I let them past the tape. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »
safety, did you mention is a lot of work, 1/4 sawing , grade sawing, plain or flat sawing , loading the log options, did you mention is a lot of work, what to do with the slabs/scrap, importance of stickering & time frame, prosscing labor intensive did you mention is a lot of workdid you mention is a lot of work,
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:19:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yes safety is item number one.  I have a small collection of different species layed out in the shop for them to try and identify.  Quarter sawing is one of the things I can show with our Oak as well.

I will be donating some Oregon Oak for their different projects for the remaining of the year and for next as well.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:30:53 AM »
thats cool frank i rember when i was teaching auto body how it helped when the local shops donated old parts for students to work on
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
Wel, they have come, saw and gone.  great bunch of critters, they were as well.  They have offered to return next Fall and help with interplanting for the possible losses.  I gave them their lumber with many a smile and thank you. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
Way to go Frank!  Another fine example of people helping people for the benefit of their education!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »
I had some feedback from one of the office staff at the school, later this afternoon.  I had gone to their home upon request to view two Western Big Leaf Maple burl, still atatched to the tree and the ground.  The burls were at least 7' across and 2' thick.  The bole of the tree was 20" dbh.

Anyway the lady of the house indicated that two of the young men could not stop talking about all the "neat things" they saw around here. The mill included.  I sawed a ten foot section of Sequoia that a friend had sent in to be made into paneling.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 08:56:49 AM by Frank Pender »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »
Those two kids may very well be the next sawmillers in town!  Once you get it in your blood its an addiction that is with you for life.

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
Sheesh, I thought I was the only one who kinda can't just loose interest in working with wood----it does feel like I have saw dust in my blood ;D
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/