alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: What chainsaw would you suggest I get?  (Read 24488 times)

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
What chainsaw would you suggest I get?
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:56:18 AM »
What chainsaw would you suggest I get, I need atleast a 50cc and probably a bar somewhere from 18-22''s...

As you can probablt tell I don't know alot about chainsaws except that husqvarna and stihl are the best.
I personally like stihl better than the rest but I don't really know which one to get.

What kind, model #, brand, bars size, engine size chainsaw would you recommend I get. I will be cutting alot of trees down that have a 20" diameter @ most. Plus I will be using it to make a log cabin.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
Re: What chainsaw would you suggest I get?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:26:42 AM »
I wood GET ONLY A SHIHL, but it would depend on local dealer as the best is a pain with no support or parts that are convenant
my last new saw is a 260 pro still 20" & i love it , it could have a bit more hp but with my health problems i needed the lightweightness
i use 064 30" bar to down & buck any thing large
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:23 AM »
Both are good saws but make sure your getting the proffessional models and not the home owner specials you see in the local box stores. 

I have three Husky saws and my brother has 3 stihls.  We have an ongoing fewd between which saw is better.   :D

I do know that the NEW Husky engine design offers more power and I believe they patented the air injection system into the exhaust.  Thats right, air injection in the exhaust.  If you look down the carborator you see two ports, one of intake and one for exhaust.

One of the local tree trimmers baught one of the new Husky 385's and I ran it and compared to my older 385 it definaly has considerable more torque.  Seems to use less fuel but thats a tough one to figure unless your cutting day in and day out. 

Baileys Forest Supply seems to be the best source parts for either saw but they are a Husky dealer for saws.   Local support is lacking for Husky pretty much all over the country from what I hear.  I guesss thats because Husky's dont break down ;D ;D :D, therefore, dont need repair facilities.  ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »
 quoit: I guesss thats because Husky's dont break down   , therefore, dont need repair facilities. 
around 1976 i bought a new old stock homelight  supper xl  from farm supply, well i was cuting firewood for income. in less than a year the case haves are sucking air, took it in for warnanty, guy said they were leaving homelight to carry some off brand saw. about 6 mo. & its doing it again now its out of warrenty & i begged the same dealer/mech to fix it at my expense. 4mo. & same trouble .by now they were selling maccullocks, so i traded with him again. had better luck with the maccullock as i was not cutting for income so saw had easy life.
late 80's i go  to trade with same farm supply now there selling Olympias i got a 264f super . i loved it best saw yet only heavy all alum
for 10 years i bragged on that saw till i needed a coil & air cleaner.
farmsupply guy said they dont sell saws anymore cause walmarts got the pollain so  cheap.
the stihl dealer has allways sold stihl & gets parts for my anchent 064
soner or later y will need a part then do you go to a catalog or a company thats still prividing local jobs
i think my 260 pro is the best one yet
the pro model was around $150. more but it came with all adjustable carb, adj chain oiller,20" bar, the idea of better quality?
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:50:55 AM »
You might consider the length of bar you want to be able to use.  The shorter the bar the more you have to reach and bend your back.  And as stated in this thread if the saw is going to be used "commercially" get a saw that's used by professionals that make their living using it and not a hobby saw.  Local support is important i.e. "can I get it fixed and get parts for it."  You need a saw that will last a long time and not beat you up every time you use it.   I've also run across the smaller saws don't have "dogs" available, those spikes that dig into the log, hold the saw steady and allow a pivot point to lever the saw into the wood.  To a point, bigger is better.  You can always put a short bar on a big saw but you can't put a bigger bar on a small saw.

Yes, a 20" will cut a 40" log but when the bar reaches all the way through it tends to cut faster.

Working on a landing of a logging operation I found that a 32" bar worked well for everything where as a 28" bar tended to cut my shoelaces but I'm 6' 2" tall.  Even though the 28" was lighter, the 32" was safer for me.

Stihl won't allow their saws to be sold over the internet because it undermines their dealers.  Husky may be going that way because they lost a lot of dealers when they started selling through the big box stores.

This from Bailey's:
  Husqvarna chainsaws are not available for purchase through our website. Husqvarna chainsaws ordered from Bailey's must now be picked up from our Woodland, California distribution center.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:13:06 AM by Stevem »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:13:51 AM »
I dont know how long Baileys have had that on there web site but I get a catalog quarterly and they seel them that way and the local guy had one shipped to him a few months ago. 

It will be interesting to see if they live by that policy. 

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
I get all the bailey catalogs to, should I order from them, or pehaps go to one of there stores?

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »
You know Kirk, a "Husky" is a breed of dog...i told you before only Stihl is a real chainsaw! ;D
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »
Well were seriously looking at the Stihl 260 Pro with a 20" bar. What do you guys think?

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
I have the giant 880 and a smaller 460.....the 460 is a horse, but very pricey, and if you are doing a lot of brush clearing, it is simply too much. The 260 would probably be fine.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »
Ok, were goin' upstate today and also buying the saw, so it looks like the 260pro is what were doin'!

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »
Well we talked to the guy sellin' the saws and he said that the 260pro is way overpriced at $540. He recommended we get either the MS280 w/18" or the MS390 w/20"....

BTW, is husky a nickname for Husqvarna ?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 03:18:25 PM »
Yes, a Husky is a Husquavarna. 

Im not familiar with the MS 280 or 390.  Is that a stihl part number

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
Yes, it's a stihl.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
SteveM your right on track.  Got my master catalog from Baileys and they no longer sell Husky saws in the catalog.  They now sell Echo and some other off brand.   :( >:( 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:50:42 PM by KEA »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »
I tried to contact Husky today and express my displeasure with there policy change as there are no Husky dealers in 100 miles that stock any parts. 

Couldnt even complain as the online system seems to put you in never ending circles with no luck getting to a submit button.  :(

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
Yea,
Lots of the local pros use only Husky or Sthil, they last.  Both good saws
My local dealer quit selling Husky because they showed up in the big box stores and then people would come to him and get a good bar and chain to replace the ones that wore out so fast. That's where they cut the price.  Was hurting Husky's reputation with the pros.  I imagine that's what happened  to change Baileys deal.

Local dealer changed to selling only Sthil "with the usual 10% off" from list but still serviced Husky as a dealer couldn't and didn't want to compete .  New owner now and I don't know present policy on discounts.

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »
Well we talked to the guy sellin' the saws and he said that the 260pro is way overpriced at $540. He recommended we get either the MS280 w/18" or the MS390 w/20"....
You're comparing apples and oranges. The MS series are home-owner/hobby saws and the pro series are production saws.  It depends on what you're intended use is.  If you are planning on earning a living with your saw go to the pro models. Otherwise the ms models should be fine for you.

It's kind of like comparing an F-250 pickup to an F-450 work truck.  Looks kind of the same but a completely different animal inside/underneath
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 08:18:58 AM »
Were not making a living with the saw so I think were fine with the MS 280 or 390... what do you guys think?

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »
Steve-

I logged ungodly hours on my Stihl 036 and Husky 370, did commercial logging with them for 10 years. Both are great saws.  The important thing with any saw - CLEAN THE AIR FILTER.  You can burn out any saw if you don't brush the sawdust out of the filter at every fillup.  Also be very careful in your oil mix.  It's easy to go too lean and that will be the death of your saw.