alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: The color green (black walnut)  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
The color green (black walnut)
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:28:15 AM »
Has anybody cut  black walnut that looked green and then have the green go away within 24 hour?

I just finished cutting my first two black walnuts and have been getting strange colors.

The first tree, fresh cut, looked like it had been sprayed with copper sulfate but after the surface dried for 24 hours the color was gone.
The second tree, left in a barn for 2 or three years, showed a strong hint of a moss green color with yellowish streaks and that too faded with 12 hours.  If the color would stay it would be real exotic.

I've never heard anybody discuss such and am wondering if it's common and if so what causes it?

Stevem
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: The color green (black walnut)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:44:49 AM »
Yes,I have it happen whenever I saw Walnut.   I am guessing that it might well be oxidation of some kind.  The wood hits the air and there is some sort of chemical reaction, on a temp type basis.  Just a guess.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: The color green (black walnut)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:02:18 AM »
Every walnut I have cut is green to the appearance and after some air gets to it, it browns up. 

I cut some crotch walnut for our local gunstock builder and he was sick to see the green and thought it was rotted.  I assured him it was fine and as always, it browned up nice and he is very happy with it.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!