alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Walkabout (today)  (Read 10735 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Walkabout (today)
« on: April 05, 2008, 09:55:12 PM »
What a day.  I was up at 4:00 this morning preping for a walkabout on a 360 acre parcel.  I was walking with my logger (ex student that logged our place).  I have a lady that has to do some logging to help support and maintain her mother in a care center.  We had sword fern up past our waists and windfalls that even an elk would have trouble crossing.  While a Mountain Goat might well have cringed at the steepness of some parts.
We covered only about a 125 acre parcel for some of the first phase of management tree removal.  Some of the timber will exceeded 140' in height, with a dbh of 24" to 28".  We are pretty sure there will be some very nice utility polls to send to market.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
Re: Walkabout (today)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:22:58 AM »
After five visits and walkabouts, it looks like we got the job.  Another two miles of walking on Monday afternoon, to another part of the Tree Farm.  We might well begin around the first of June, weather permitting and all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:14:14 AM by Frank Pender »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:03:11 AM »
We had devils club in Alaska, or that is what we called it. I wonder if that is similar to sward firn.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:15:34 AM »
I am sorry, Kirk, I have never heard of the species.  I will have to look it up.

Nope, not at all similar from the pictures I saw.  It does sound like it is very popular for medical uses for some of the locals and other adventurous folks.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 11:33:43 AM »
I just know you dont dare touch it or those super tiny thorns are in you for the next week creating havic >:(
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
All that walking was for nasught.  The landy chose another guy for the management and logging.  I know who it was and am a bit concerned for her, but she made the choice.  Oh well, there are other places to work on for the coming season.