alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Say you have to cut through 500 ft of trees to make a road.....  (Read 68639 times)

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
Re: Say you have to cut through 500 ft of trees to make a road.....
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »
Steve,

Those prices were all in International 1/4" log rule.  Come on up to Burlington VT next weekend, for the Northeastern Forest Products Equipment Expo, and pick yourself up log scale rule/stick. You then can get a decent idea as to what you have for logs by measuring the small end inside the bark. I plan to attend one of the days.  Lots of mills, saws, splitters, grinders....ARR ARR ARRRRR! ;D

http://nefpexpo.net/(v)geninfo.htm

+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »
Or, I could have Kevin from Logrite send one to you out Aluminium.  Let me know if you want to order one.

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2008, 07:55:44 AM »
Why can't I measure the small side inside the bark with a tape measure?
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2008, 08:23:34 AM »
You can measure it with a tape measure but it wont have the log scale conversion numbers on it that coorisponds with the diameter measurement. 

A log rule will have the BF totals on it so you can tell what the totals are by just measuring the diameter and referencing that number the BF numbers below it.  A folding log rule is about $13 but if you go that route buy a bunch of them.  I cant tell you how many I have lost.

I purchased the Log Rite log rule and still have it to this day and its more proffessional looking for the customers. ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
hey steve i was wondering how you'r projects are going?

did ya get the road in? how's the cabin comming?

i just wonder cause i hope to be doing all that stuff my self in a few years.....good luck with everything eh.

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »
Josh, it's going great, we cut our whole road and now we have to get a few 30ton loads of gravel down here to make it drivable for a car - Only our 4x4 trucks can get through it.
We have all the tree's cut though... we have a stihl 280 w/18", echo CS330 w/ 12" and we just a bought a stihl 440 magnum off of ebay used since we'll need to be cutting some really big tree's down soon. ;D

We have access to a timber harvester 30ht25 sawmill where we'll cut all our wood for the house.
We haven't actually started the house yet... we are hoping to get the foundation done this summer (piers).
We're still getting the site plan from the engineer who needs the topographical survey from our surveyor so we can start doing stuff.
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/