alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: what is a burl?  (Read 20829 times)

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
what is a burl?
« on: April 12, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »
hey everyone i was reading some post on here and seen some pic's of a burl, just what is it? i've seen them in trees befor but don't loggers just cut them outta the tree and leave them? i'm just wondering what causes it and what it's used for.....and mainly, next time should i not pass one up in the wood's? i've even seen them thing's burned? just wondering thanks.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: what is a burl?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »
Wel, Josh, I sure wish I knew for sure what causes burl to occur in our Western Big Leaf Maple.   If I could replicate that I could really cash in on the wood business.  Many folks use it for turning stock, veneering and such.

If you find some on trees you might well hve somegood value for marketing .  If you go onto ebay and type in Maple burl you can easily learn some value in the wood.

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
is it just the maple that does it  (burl), or just the mapel burls that get's the big bucks? i was asking them at work about it and one guy said that a while back my boss had a bunch of them in the shop ( i work in venner).thanks frank,  now when i go out to get wood i'll have to keep my eye open.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:44:50 AM »
`Josh, many different species of wood have burls.  Walnut is another that can form burls.  Some of the more rare around here are our Oaks.  I have one that is around 500 pounds and 30" around.  I am near sawing it into slabs with my Oscar 36. 

Some of our Wild Cherry or Bitter Cherry will develop a burl from time to time as well.  I also have some Old Growth Douglas Fir burls that are qite rare as well.  One is 4' across and some of the others range from 20" to 30" across in the form of slabs at this time.  These were cut in 1964 at the Willamette Industries mill in Dallas, Oregon. 

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 08:26:27 AM »
hu? thats neat, i'm gunna for sure keep my eyes's open :-) i live in upper michigan and from what i was told is that we have like 90 percent of the worlds birdseye, so i think i need to start walking in the woods more :-) so you have burls that were cut in '64! thats more then 20 years older then i am :-)
again thank you.

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
A burl (British bur) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds. Burls are the product of a cambium.

A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be environmental or introduced by humans. Most burls grow beneath the ground, attached to the roots as a type of malignancy that is generally not discovered until the tree dies or falls over. Such burls sometimes appear as groups of bulbous protrusions connected by a system of rope-like roots. Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even if it is underground. Insect infestation and certain types of mold infestation are the most common causes of this condition.

In some tree species, burls can grow to great size. Some of the largest occur in redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens); when moisture is present, these burls can grow new redwood trees. The world's largest and second-largest burls can be found in Port McNeill, British Columbia. One of the largest burls known to man was found around 1984 in the small town of Tamworth, Australia. It stands 6.4 ft tall, with an odd shape resembling a trombone.

Burls yield a very peculiar and highly figured wood, one prized for its beauty by many; its rarity also adds to its expense. It is sought after by people such as furniture makers, artists, and wood sculptors. There are a number of well-known types of burls (each from a particular species); these are highly valued and used as veneers in furniture, picture frames, household objects, automobile interior paneling and trim, and woodturning. The famous birdseye maple superficially resembles the wood of a burl but is something else entirely. Burl wood is very hard to work in a lathe or with hand tools because its grain is misshapen and not straight.

Some burls are more highly prized than others, including ones originating in rural areas in central Massachusetts, northeast Connecticut, and as far south as Philadelphia. Some types display an explosion of sorts which causes the grain to grow erratically, and it is these burls that the artist prizes over all other types. These spectacular patterns enhance the beauty of wood sculptures, furniture, and other artistic productions. Burls are harvested by a variety of methods. Many redwood trees have them, but there are two things that hinder the harvest of redwood burls, the first being that removing a burl can cause the death of the tree. The second is the sometimes tremendous size of redwood burls; removing them can require the use of heavy equipment, which can be expensive and difficult to get to the tree's location.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:14:08 AM »
Well done on the pedia definition. 

Another thing that burl is, is a money maker, with lots of investment, energy and time, before you even sell some.  I must have over 5,000 pounds of Maple burl, around here.

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 07:27:25 PM »
thanks KEA, don't know why i didn't think to do that ???

i think i'm gunna look into this around my area a little more again thanks all.

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »
I've found some customers that really like sliced burl from my mill for clocks, small accent pieces for desks etc.  Birch makes a very pretty sliced burl too.  Funny thing is that it makes a commercial log nearly worthless because it called a defect.  I seek them out which blows the logger's minds around here. 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:24:16 PM »
Just keep them thinking that, JP and you will continure to have a supply.

I just picked up a 28' Western Big Leaf Maple full of fiddleback pattern.  It is 42 inches across on the butt and 40 inches on the top end.  It weighs in at about 10,000 pounds.  If I had not decided to purchase the log, it would have become chips.  the chip market is paying about $32 a ton, for Maple.

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »
what is fiddleback pattern ? sorry, still learning the lingo shall we say  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »
Take a look at the back of a fiddle.  The wavy horizontal lines are what is called fiddleback. They are a wood pattern that looks as though the wood grain is raised and the pattern is perpendicular to the natural grain pattern of the wood. 

Now I need a picture from someone to show him what I mean.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »
Back east here they call it tiger maple or curly maple.  You're like me Frank, the big old growth stuff is just too much to pass up.  I can't say I've ever been disappointed in the results.  Just the old growth ring patterns are worth it.  I had to get a rip chain for my chain saw to quarter some of those big dogs to get them on the mill.  I love working with that stuff. 

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 02:20:55 PM »
curly maple i've heared of :)  i typed in fiddleback maple under yahoo images and got a good pic of it. this wood stuff is awsome i wish i would have got started younger. thanks again guys

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »
Josh, you are surely getting the "wood bug".  Be careful, you can sometimes go over board with this business, like me.  I have several thousand pounds of burl around here and not sold much in the last year or so. :'(

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 02:33:28 PM »
thanks for the warning ;).....i was talking to my forman and he said he's got a bunch cherry burl says he's gunna make cribagge boards outta them. hey frank did ya try ebay? i seen a bunch of em on there cut 2" thick  selling for like 20 bucks and 20 to ship?

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 08:19:22 PM »
i took a ride with my girlfriend the other day we went to a town a hour over and on the road trip i managed to spot 3-4 burls one was a good size in a huge tree that look to me to be dead. the first one i spoted i almost jumped outta the car and hollared " there's a burl!", got a good laugh outta the girlfriend. ( i've been keeping her informed of my new intrest/hobby)

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
The e-bay issue  is how I finally got into using the puter.  Before that I had not interest what-so-ever. 

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »
funniest thing....turns out i go past a pile of them burls on my way to work.  i live by a cabnit shop and on the way to work this mornin i seen a pile in the back....gunna see if they buy them. thanks again for all the info.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 08:22:12 AM »
Josh, it sure sounds like you have developed the "burl bug".  You will soon be seeing burls in your sleep, like myself. :D :D :D

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 02:55:06 PM »
 ;D yes i did frank, planning a trip to camp in the next few weeks and i know some spots they logged not to long ago.

thanks again.