alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Reliability  (Read 7298 times)

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
Reliability
« on: September 30, 2018, 06:17:35 AM »

How often do you have to work on your mill . Out on custom sawing jobs I've had quite a few tell me ( You can saw all day without tinkering on your mill). Which is true a lot of days but certainly not every day as switches will go out, wires will break, fuel lines will get a hole  etc.  I have over 14000 hours now and less than $200 in the head drive system  and have never been down more than 3 hours except when I transplanted the diesel on the mill and a couple times took most of a day going over the mill.  The biggest problem I had was the acme screws wearing out after I put the heavy diesel on, at first I could only get around 500 hours out of them which took about 2 hours the change and cost $90 .  Then I started using bronze nuts rather than the really hard nuts TK put on the mill, now I have over 7000 hours on the screws and the nuts last 3000 to 4000 hours. cost $50 and take about 1 hour to replace . I did replace the cord reel with a industrial one to make the setworks work real close to 100%, it will break a spring about every year or 1 1/2 years. I really like Cooks 3" guide rollers, seems like the last forever. I might have a couple original hyd hoses left but most have been replaced which is not a bad job as they don't run through a tube, just clamped to the inside frame rail.  I keep a good stock of different lengths from Surplus Center in my pickup.   For me my TK mills does really good in the reliability department. Steve

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
Re: Reliability
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 07:57:05 AM »
Well I never have to tinker with my little manual mill, and I have dang near 30 hours on it already! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »
Steve,

I finally replaced my cord reel with a Cox industrial reel.  After about 14 months the spring broke (it is good to know that it has happened to you too).  I called the manufacturer to see about getting a replacement and, when they heard it was 14 months old, informed me that it had a two year warranty and a new one would be on the way.  It broke on the first log of a mobile appointment but, since I had installed a remote system, I just unplugged it and went with the remote until the replacement arrived.

I considered ordering another one for a spare but, after giving him the serial number of the reel, he advised against it.  They apparently had experienced a quality control issue at that time that had since been resolved.  This one would be expected to last much longer.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:10 AM »
After building mine from scratch several years ago, I've only had to replace a broken bolt for one of the roller guide mounts.  I've got maybe 500 hours on it?  No idea really.

It's a pretty faithful copy of a Linn Lumber 1900 mill.  The track I made much sturdier and portable and a few differences to the carriage.  Everything is manual.  I made my own up/down system using chains and sprockets to gear it for 4 turns to the inch.  I also used hard nuts on the acme threads for up/down and I spray ATF on them every day of milling and as such don't see any galling or abnormal wear.  I also use Cooks roller guides and like them.  I use Kasco 4 degree blades from Cutting Edge (member here) and I can't say enough good about him or the blades he represents.  I get more cuts, more consistent lumber and easier sharpening (using his cam wheel and alignment kit for the Cooks Cats Claw sharpener).  My mill uses a strong running 13hp Predator engine I can't say enough good about.  It feels more like 15hp, no joke.  I can mill all day on a single tank of gas!  Of course, my day usually don't hit 10 hours of work anymore, but nonetheless - it's economical.  Ideal?  Probably not - more power is better for performance, but being on a budget, I can't complain a bit.

There is always an option to add power up/down and power feed, and can be custom built.  Lots of easy to access mounting points, etc.  The frame is built rugged enough one could make all the hydraulic additions one could want.  I'll just keep it simple for now because this is one reason I don't have any breakdowns.  I'm not in business sawing so I don't need the speed or anything.  Slow is good for me these days. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »
I'm very pleased with my homebuilt band mill, built it back in the late 80's for $500.00 using scrounged parts. It has power feed, power head and a two plane clamp/ log turner. Replaced a couple of bearings and several wire rope cables used for the feed. Its strong, simple and works what more can I ask for. Paid for itself many times over as I mill for hire. I originally powered it with a two cylinder Wisconsin baler engine but converted to a 15hp Baldor three phase motor, major improvement. There are few things in this life more reliable than a three phase motor. I don't over tension my bands and usually get about a dozen sharpening's on my cats claw and have never had one break on the mill. I built my dual tooth setter that has treated me well and cost me a few scraps and a little time to build. All and all I'm a happy camper, can't do pictures though. Frank C. 

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:20:06 PM »
I WISH I had the ability and talent to build my own mill.  A good friend of mine is thinking of building a large slabbing mill,  I definitely need to encourage him.  I'm hoping to learn some more welding skills, and patience.  He spent years as a logger, and developed the ability to do most anything.  The guy is an incredible woodworker, good mechanic, and has true engineering skills without the costly degree.  Anyone who can build their own sawmill is a damn genius in my opinion.   
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 06:33:34 AM »

( has true engineering skills without the costly degree)
  Many of the so called engineers ought to be shot, they take something simple and make it complicated hard to fix.  Steve

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »
There are book engineers and practical engineers most of us are practical, we learn by trial and error what works and what doesn't and how strong something must be built. The new crop of highway engineers should be shot in the #alls. Frank C.

Offline mountainlake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »

I have a neighbor that's book smart and is as dumb as they come plus he's a thief.  Steve