alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Wish me luck  (Read 8499 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Wish me luck
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
Flying into a Hurricane Wednesday evening.  ::) ::)

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: Wish me luck
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
Good luck.  Batten down the hatches and hunker down. 
Are you far enough inland and high enough that storm surge is not a problem? 
Storm related slides ever an issue, or are you just effected by the extreme winds and rain?
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »
I thought they shut airports down during bad storms.  Is there an alternative flight plan for your particular flight?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »
Going to Orlando, Fl. My home in CR is very high and dry, for a rainy season climate.

No Alt flight plan, so far. Son is keeping an eye out and in contact with Jetblue. Hopefully, storm will be on land in the Panhandle of Fl by the time we get to Orlando. Might pack water wings just in case.  ::)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »
How'd ya float...er....I mean.....how'd ya get on with the storm?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »
Storm was already out of Florida by the time we landed. That's when the real fun started. We were trapped inside the plane for 1.5 hours, because the movable ramp wouldn't maneuver correctly to dock with the plane. So, that's when the stupidity took over. It was still plenty of daylight, to just move the plane to another gate, BUT, the plan was laid to call maintenance, which was closed for the day, at 7 PM, get a mechanic out, leave home, drive through heavy traffic, maneuver around at the terminal,  to find the problem and fix the movable ramp. Of course he would have a whole ramp of spare parts in his vehicle ??

Soooo, after 1.5 hours of being trapped in the plane, a ground crew was dispatched to move the plane, with about 20 vehicles headlights lit like a runway, to get us to the other gate ramp.  ::) ::)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:26:31 AM »
Must have been Dummycrats that were running the show...  stuff like that is sometimes almost unbearable to go through.  Now that it's all over you can look back and relate to how dumb some peoples' decisions are.  But maybe there are protocols and rules that we aren't aware of that keeps them from simply "borrowing" another gate temporarily.  At least you got down safe and at the end of the day that's all that really matters, right?

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
 Right. It's just that I don't tolerate stupid well anymore. Too much of it turning up everywhere.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »
Kinda makes a fella want to stay the hell home. Its no fun traveling by air any more. Every time I fly they have reduced the leg room more. Frank C.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 06:12:02 AM »
Ever try JetBlue, Frank?  Standard seating has leg room and there are select seats with more legroom. No 1st class, just more space. Prices are very competetive. I can get off season for $350.00 round trip from Orlando to San Jose.

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
It has gotten to where I really do not understand and question why folks fly but it supplies a lot of jobs in the travel industry so that  is a good thing.

I know there are many instances where folks have to fly, large bodies of water in the way, job requirements, minimum time to get from point A to point B and then back.
There are many jobs that exist solely because there is a need for mass air transport, but since 9-11-01 it has been so onerous to fly and the airlines are trying so hard to make money for the shareholders they have learned how to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Folks will choose one ticket/airline if there is a $1 dollar difference in fare price.

Since I have been all over the world in another life thanks to Uncle Sam I really don't have much desire to go visit anyplace that requires air transport.
In another 15 months I will never have to get on another airplane.  I will drive wherever I have/want to go.  That may be a bit of an overstatement but I doubt it.  I have grown to dislike very intensely the whole process of getting on an airline flight.  How do you spell cattle-car.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »
large bodies of water in the way
  Yep. That is my only reason. Otherwise, I tend to agree with most of what you wrote, Furu.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 06:23:56 AM »
Kind of funny, that as a pilot, I hate flying. Now, if I am in the front seat, ok. In the back, not so much. And after this year, flying to Europe and back, need a break. I really hate flying.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.