alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: spalted?  (Read 8664 times)

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
spalted?
« on: April 17, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »
hey everyone got another rookie question for ya's.

spalted is the beggining rot part of a tree right? well at work i was cutting up some cherry and i have to cut out what they call "gum" ( i work at a veneer company) i was just wondering if that is the same as spalt? cause the pic's i seen of it it kinda look's the same. thanks.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: spalted?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:46:39 PM »
Gum filled cherry brings a premium!  It ads tons of character to the wood and the few pieces I have come across go straight to my personal stash!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:45:32 AM »
The same idea goes for our Western Maple.  Spalting demands more dollars for sure.

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:34:35 AM »
lol at work i have to "cut it out" or "cut around it". i was wondering cause there is a pic on here of a beautiful candel holder that is spalted and it looks dang near the same as the cherry "gum". mabey them are the scraps i should be saving ;)
thanks guys.

Offline JP Sinclair

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »
Yeah, the right spalt caught at the right time looks like a marble floor.  I'm working on making enough to actually do a 300 sq foot floor in all spalted maple.  How cool would that be? ;)

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 02:00:58 PM »
Real coool 8)
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
JP, when are youputting in your order for some Western Big Leaf Maple squares? :D :D :D :D ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »
OK, To save me a bunch of time typing I cut and pasted this, which was found doing a google search.

What is it?
Spalting is a by-product of the rotting process that is carried out by a vast array of stain, mold and decay fungi, that are found naturally on the forest floor. When the temperature and humidity are right, spalting can cause many different and beautiful patterns in rotting wood. The unusual colouration may be due to chemically induced reactions between the wood, fungi and insect deposits, often resulting in black, pink, grey and multicoloured streaked wood.

It is decorative and can be greatly valued over the uninfected wood. Lighter coloured woods like birch and maple offer the best canvas for dramatic spalting. Once the wood has been cut and kiln dried, the fungi can no longer grow, and the spalting process will stop. Airflow, wood moisture content above 25% and air temperature between 60 and 80 degrees F. are all necessary for spalting.

How to work with spalted wood:
It can be very easy to very difficult to work with, depending on whether you "caught" the wood before it became too punky. Some severly spalted wood can tend to crumble. These areas can be saturated with liquid harderners (like cyanoacrylate glue), or small soft spots can be coated with a coat or two of clear shellac or sanding sealer, just be sure it will not affect any future finishing plans you may have.

Finishing:
Spalted wood can have a tendency to splotch on finishing so often woodworkers use clear, dewaxed shellac as a sealer. Almost any finish can be applied as a topcoat over this once it's been sanded. If you have had to use hardeners, you'll find that oil finishes and stains do not absorb into the wood so you'll be limited to lacquer style topcoats. Most hardeners will darken the wood as well, so keep that in mind.

Health Concerns:
Spalted wood may still contain spores, therefore it should always be worked and sanded only when wearing a good dust mask or respirator, and using a dust collector. There is medical evidence that substances from decaying wood are a health threat and some allergic reactions and serious lung diseases have been traced to spores and fungi that inhabit rotting wood.

The effect on an individual woodworker however depends on his/her natural tolerance to the spores and fungi, since some individuals are more likely to react to environmental toxins than others. The woodworker should be careful in selecting the species used for making kitchen utensils, food storage containers or toys an infant might chew on, since heat, moisture and time stimulate the release of the toxins found in some of these types of wood.

Always error on the side of caution and WEAR a dustmask!!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!