alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: AUCTION! Woodmizer on the chopping block!  (Read 8214 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
AUCTION! Woodmizer on the chopping block!
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:17:13 PM »
For those interested, there is a LOT of great stuff at a local auction starting tomorrow. 

One item is a LT40 Hydraulic.  Current bid $4200. 

This is a friend of mine that passed.  Pacific War veteran, retired state police pilot with no family.  Lost his wife a few years ago and he passed last fall. 

The mill has been undercover its whole life and if I recall has less than 500 hrs on it. 

Lots of great stuff for those looking to get into the wood business. 

https://bauerauction.hibid.com/catalog/148110/wednesday--nov--14--2018-lewis-b--boyer-estate-auction/
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
Re: AUCTION! Woodmizer on the chopping block!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 03:00:59 AM »
Wish I was a bit closer.  Looks like there are some interesting items going on the block.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:29:44 PM »
I watched it for a bit.  Sawmill sold for $8900.00 plus what ever they add to it.  Said they couldn't get the hyd's working.  That probably hurt some on the price.  What does a mill like that usually go for?  Does anybody on here have any idea?  Banjo

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
I'd reckon it'd be more based on age and hours than anything.  But from what little I know about that particular mill I think it sold for a good price for the buyer.  It's likely worth quite a bit more.

From what little I know about the Woodmizers, they have contacts alongside the hydraulic control levers and they sometimes need fiddling with to make run again, or replace them.  These contacts close (I think) before the lever starts allowing fluid to be pumped, making the pump come on before a hydraulic function is asked for.

Probably one could hotwire the pump to come on when you want and shut it down when you're done using hydraulic functions with a simple switch.  They're just basically starter motors mated with a small hydraulic pump, really.

For that matter you could probably run hyds off a tractor plumbed into the system and make that mill work. 

If there's a will there's a way.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 06:57:03 PM »
I watched it for a bit.  Sawmill sold for $8900.00 plus what ever they add to it.  Said they couldn't get the hyd's working.  That probably hurt some on the price.  What does a mill like that usually go for?  Does anybody on here have any idea?  Banjo

Older Lt 40's sell for 12k on a routine basis.  Having some minor troubles should not hurt the price at all.  Only 500 hours is nothing!  I have 600 hours on a LT 40 (4 years old), and it's no where near, broken in.  The LT 40 design hasn't changed that much over the years, at least from what I have observed.  The hydraulic controls are a little more convenient on the newer models, and of course the control panel is more user friendly.  8K is a darn steal! 
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 11:37:56 PM »
The mill only needed some cleaning of the contacts.  They smoked the starter motor trying to get started a day before the auction.  There were 5 boxes of blades that went with it but the clowns had all the manuals for it sold separately on the rack wagon.  It only had 500 hrs on it and has been inside its entire life.  It was a steal at the price it sold for. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 11:38:44 PM »
I did manage to pick up a Shop Smith system that has EVERY attachment they ever made. Paid $85 for it!  Can't believe only one other person bid on it.   

Lathe, table saw, belt sander, disk sander, scroll saw, band saw and all accessories included! 

I knew the owner that died and he had offered the whole set up to me last year for $1,000.00.  I told him it was worth every penney but not something I really needed at the time. 

I could not pass up today's bidding though! 

Also picked up a Woodtek Miter trimmer for $45.00, like brand new! https://woodworker.com/cast-iron-miter-trimmer-mssu-876-782.asp

Timber Framer broadaxe with steam bent handle and 30" Timber Frame Slick - $65.00 total! 

I almost stayed home but thanks to a dead battery on my watch I had to run to town.  Stopped at the auction on my way home and I must say it was the best stop I have ever made when it comes to auctions.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:48:35 PM by Kirk Allen »

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 08:51:44 AM »
I love hearing about good people winning now and again.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
I went to an auction in Southern Maryland last spring, and the auctioneer tried to open the bidding on a 5 year old, damaged, manual mill at 20k!  The mill can be bought for 5k new, and for a moment, I thought it might sell.   The bidding restarted for 4k, and it had a couple of bidders at that price.  The owner loudly objected and withdrew the mill from the auction.  He was a fool.  I wouldn't have bid more than 2k for it, while in it's current condition (rusted and damaged saw head).  He should have let it go for 4k, and smiled all the way to the bank!  ;)   I did buy and off feed roller table from him, at 75 bucks, and that was a good deal.  Some people don't know the value of what they are bidding on, and it always pays to do your homework before attending an auction...
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
Nice pick up on the Shop Smith.  I like a good auction ever now and then.  My youngest son and I bought a semi trailer that was filled with shop tools and vintage auto parts a few years ago.  Sold enough of the parts to more than pay for the trailer and the contents.  Banjo