alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: sweetgum  (Read 8721 times)

Offline xlogger

• Major Contributor
sweetgum
« on: November 30, 2018, 05:23:43 AM »
I was watching a video this morning and a guy was slabbing a spalted sweetgum. Any of you guys tried this? Wonder if they dry flat better if they are spalted? The wood looked nice. I've never tried sweetgum. If I did cut one I'd probably cut 10/4 to try to get a 8/4 slab out of it.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: sweetgum
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »
Such things don't grow here in the tundra of the north country.  lol

I know that spalted red maple dries a bit flatter, but that's apples and oranges I reckon.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:24:59 PM »
What I have cut, I cut oversize because it NEVER dries straight and has to be resawn into usable lumber. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 01:23:38 AM »
How much over size?  What i've cut would need to be 6" -7" over.  ;D
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kojba

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »
In Southern Maryland, my grandfather would use it for roof perlings, nailed on green.  They would also use them when building boats, for side knees.  Because of the twisting action of the wood, it will hold nails tight even under stress.  Of course water causes sweet gum to rot easily, so if used on a roof, make sure the roof nails have rubber grommets. Other than those two things, sweet gum was not used much at all...
Keep Ole Joe Boy Alive
or
Kiss Ole Joe Boy's Ass

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »
How much over size?  What i've cut would need to be 6" -7" over.  ;D

Yep!  I have cut it into 8" cants and then stored it for a couple years then resawed it.  Got good boards that way, which I think is the only way! LOL
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Banjo picker

• New Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
I have cut a bunch of rail road ties out of sweetgum, but I never tried to cut boards out of it.  Last ties I cut was 9 or 10 years ago and the gum ties brought the same as the oak.  I have some gums  that are just about due to cut now.  I won't cut them unless I can get 3 or 4 ties out of a tree.  Banjo