alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

The wood shop > Projects and Plans

Steam and Sterling

(1/3) > >>

joasis:
Besides milling wood, any other machinists here? Or I guess you don't have to be a machinist.....just love the iron.

I was school trained in the 70s as a machinist....not NC or CNC, but old school, tool steel, set up and operate any and every machine kind of training. And during that time, I made a few steam engines, one, a Stuart #1 my grandfather wanted me to build. Good times.

So, a few years ago, I was thinking about building safe room doors /panic room doors, and began collecting a few machines....bought a lathe, and then another one, and a Bridgeport J Head mill....and the fever is cranking up. Looking for a shaper now to complete the home machine shop........and, did I mention I am building a furnace to teach myself casting?

So to the subject: I already have plans for different steam models I want to build, but a guy stopped by the local gun shop and he brought a "Lake Breeze" hot air fan to show to another guy he was meeting. And I was hooked. I am going to build a few variations of the Stirling engines...and maybe find a Lake fan I can disassemble and copy, even making the castings.

Anyone else share this interest? Know where a Lake Breeze fan may be? Have any plans or prints of interesting stuff? Have a metal shaper taking up space?

Maybe we will add a board for the home machine shop......

Ox:
That kind of stuff is right up my alley, but I have yet to get the nice machinery.  I can't help you one bit on any of your needs but wanted to let you know you ain't the lone ranger.  :)

I hope to follow your progress and hopefully a few pics along the way.

furu:
I really enjoy fab work with metal but don't have many tools (Mill/brake/etc) beyond the obligatory set of welding units. 
I tend to try to make do with what I have and am constantly learning. 
An acquaintance/friend that is about 2 hours away has a full shop of things (he is a retired iron worker) that I have access to but big projects and distance cause that resource to be used less than I would like.

I would enjoy reading about your exploits as you manufacture/fab the items.

Crusarius:
I have a nice mill at home here. I just bought a bigger one and sent my old one to my dads shop. I would like to get a lathe but thats out of my budget right now. so for now I have a rotary table I just picked up.

Hopefully I can get my shop built this summer and actually be able to separate my steel shop and my wood shop. I hate the mess I have with both.

Ox:
I feel your pain.  I have a single shop for metal fab, mechanical repair, woodshop, sharpening shop, and anything else.  One shop.  24 x 40.  I'm working on upgrading the mill and keeping on sawmilling to build a duplicate shop alongside for woodshop/blacksmith/sharpening shop, and possibly some parking of machinery in winter.  This'll turn the original shop into metal/mechanic shop. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version