alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Chainsaws and light support equipment > Chain Saws

Chain saw question..

(1/3) > >>

A.O.:
So on my MS362 Stihl.. I cut up a bunch of big logs a couple weeks ago, saw worked great. Then the last couple cuts were labored and I just figured the chain was getting dull, even got some smoking out of it. (the chain not the saw itself). Took it back to the shop and sharpened it.. no change, labored to cut and a smoking bar AND it was cutting in an arc. Dressed the bar so the rails were even, cleaned everything up, made sure the oiler was working. Put it back together and same thing, seems to cut crooked, smokes , and labors to cut!!

IDEAS???

Crusarius:
Did you hand file? I did that and seemed I got one side sharper than the other. I put a new chain on and it was fine after that.

A.O.:
I did hand file, I always have with good results. I may try a new chain and see how it does..

The heat and smoking has thrown me off a bit.

A.O.:
Maybe I'm the Spaceman!  Maybe I just thought I resharpened the chain, memory is not as good as it once was although I am SURE I resharpened that chain! However.. I just resharpened that chain and it seems to work fine now. Granted I just cut some 8" diameter pine to test it and it seemed to work fine, we'll see how it does when I cut something a bit bigger.

Kirk Allen:
Curved cuts are typically a chain sharper on one side than the other.  As far as smoking, do you lube the bar sprocket?   I have seen a few sprockets fail from never getting any lube.  Most chain saw shops will have the device that pushes grease into the sprocket. 

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200675095_200675095?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Logging%20%3E%20Chainsaw%20Accessories%20%2B%20Maintenance&utm_campaign=Oregon&utm_content=55615&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInf3Slqbx5AIVE26GCh1ixwnLEAQYAiABEgLmSvD_BwE

I just last week had the same curve issue and I was perplexed because I sharpen on an electrical saw chain sharpener.  Turns out, I forgot to move the power switch to the other position so one side got sharpened with the file starting on the outside working in (proper) and the other side was inside working out (wrong). 

I resharpened correctly and it now cuts straight as can be. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version