alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Daylight savings and farm thoughts  (Read 4216 times)

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Daylight savings and farm thoughts
« on: November 03, 2019, 05:49:56 AM »
I wish they would just turn the clocks half an hour back and just leave it there forever.  That way each side (those who want daylight savings and those who don't) gets half and everyone can just forget about it.  Personally I'd rather have the extra light at the end of the day.  It's a bummer when it's too dark to work around 5:30 PM.

Maybe I need to wire up some tractor work lights onto the mill.  Wait.  No, all our money is going to getting outta here!  Fair trade, fair trade. 

Found a nice place in Missouri with nice large buildings and hay ground ready to go.  Real estate prices from when we were looking 20 years ago make my ass slam shut, I tell ya what.  Yikes.  But top quality alfalfa sells for AT LEAST $8 and up for small squares around 50 lbs so on 180 tillable acres with average of 100 bales per acre in 4 cuttings means roughly 144k gross.  First year will be minus 30k for seed and fertilizer, then the 4 years after that will be minus roughly 15k per year for fertilizer. Not bad for an old dirt dragging hillbilly, I don't think.  And this is figuring low.  Reality should be closer to $10 a bale and 180k a year.  Couldn't do it if not for a good family and them being willing to give things up and make sacrifices so's we all can live a better life.  We're remodeling our little double wide as I type this.  It is an exercise in patience and temper management.  Our place is only 1000 sq ft with 4 of us living here.  Not much space to move stuff to rip up old rugs and lay down vinyl flooring, but not before peeling the vinyl off the so-called sheetrock so new paint will adhere to the walls.  On a positive note, the red pine I had sawed out 4 years ago has seasoned nicely at 1/2" per board (for paneling, this stuff was just starting to get punky so I figured I'd mill it out for something that's not structural) and after a quick run through a thickness planer and a quick rubbed on oil coat (using some nice mineral oil (ordered through Richard at Cutting Edge) the "denim pine" really pops and makes it look nice as 2" trim on top of a nice country white/eggshell type white wall paint.

This time next year we'll be sitting on our own farm with some financing through the FSA/USDA and it don't matter what state we're in as long as it's south of the Mason Dixon.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Daylight savings and farm thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
There is not a valid reason for the time change any longer. And thus, there is no reason to change anything. Pisses me off every time we go through this.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.