alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Utility poles for piers  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
Utility poles for piers
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »
Any and all comments are welcome.
@bandmiller2 I'm especially interested in your foundation, as I know you've mentioned it. Pictures would be great, but I'm guilty of not knowing how to post them, understand if you are same!
This would be for a Chase handset mill. Only milling for ourselves.
I've been offered utility poles and feel like this will work for us.
  Some quick questions are: must they be on concrete?
Approx lengths?
Last but not least-I heeded your advice on measurements and photos during disassembly,
but cannot find these. I'm guessing it can still be assembled albeit with extra time.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
Re: Utility poles for piers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »
Leeroy, My utility pole foundation has been in place many years and I can detect no settling. The pole sections I used were from accidents and not replaced from decay. I dug 18"X4' holes using care to not loosen the soil on the bottom. I dropped a roundish stone on the bottom pole on top. A wheel barrel of concrete dumped in to form sort of a mushroom under the pole, then backfill for plumb alignment. Top of the poles cut to level after cement set, and notches cut for cross pieces, bolted to poles. Near the husk and log loading area poles about 4' apart cross braced, offbearers end spaced about 6' apart.  They tell me pole are good for 40/50 years if your young and planning for the long haul you may want to go sonotube and concrete. Hope I've made it clear enough if not ask. Frank C.

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »
Thanks Bandmiller!
I will be checking poles out soon. Wonder if the preservative is not as good as the poles you used.
Crowding 50 here, my son might have to deal with it if he takes a liking to it.

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
Here another idea I can't shake:
What about setting the mill on a purpose built wooden floor/building on a concrete foundation?
There's an old water powered Chase in town set up like this. It is no longer a working mill, and all water powered parts are rusted beyond repair, but the set up looks great.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:37:19 AM »
Leeroy, pretty much anything that will keep the mill ways level and not sag when the carriage passes over. Probably best to set the mill up on a good foundation then erect the building around it. Good form to check the mills level often, especially fall and spring. Frank

Offline Leeroy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 05:09:17 PM »
Time has been elusive and we still have not started setting up our mill.
Recently someone suggested blocks from the local concrete place.
They measure 5' long 3' thick, and 3' height. My friend has suggested scraping off topsoil, and using these blocks burying them 1.5'. They weigh 6300 lbs a piece,
Anyone see this as a foundation option?
Also has anyone seen Bandmiller2?