alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Pre Newbie Question  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Borgia

• New Contributor
Pre Newbie Question
« on: March 03, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
I'm considering getting a sawmill.  The reason is that I have been thinking about milling my own wood for awhile.  Recently I had a forester look at some black walnut trees on my property.  He estimated it would cost around $4k for him to mill them.  Looking at mills it looks like I can get a decent one for around that price.  So my question is how complicated is it to use and learn a mill and would it be better to have him do it for that price or to buy the mill and try to do it myself?

Also any recommendations in buying a mill?  Should I start with a chainsaw mill or with the full set up?  Thx for your thoughts.

Offline Cutting Edge Saw Svc.

• Old Timers Club
    • Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC
Re: Pre Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 07:04:57 AM »
Did he give you an actual rate per Bd/ft for milling ?

How many estimated Bd/ft of logs ?

Milling isn't as easy as the videos make it out to be.  There is ALOT of work BEFORE and AFTER the log is sawn into lumber.  Even with full hydraulics.

Might pay to check around for other portable sawmills in the area and get their rates too.

Good Luck
Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services - Narrow Band and Woodworking
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair
 - Phone: (304) 878-3343
 - cesawservice@gmail.com

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades

www.cesawservice.business.site

Offline Borgia

• New Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:38:02 AM »
No he did not give me a rate per board foot.  His rate is per day.  His original estimate was it would take him 2 days but he did 3 days and is maybe half done.  Thus I told him to stop.  I did call other portable mills but his daily rate is better.  The other mills I spoke with charge by the hour and the mileage they drive and it works out to be more.  This is why I'm thinking about getting a mill because I don't need to depend on other people I don't know and I would basically break even on the cost of the mill with not having to pay the person for the 3-4 days left (of course this discounts his labor involved).

Offline Crusarius

• Causing trouble and breaking shit
  • Senior Contributor
  • Hmm what does this button d....
    • RockModified
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:33:48 AM »
would you be in charge of taking the trees down or would he?

If he is going to take the trees down and mill them for 4000 that sounds like a good deal. I bet you would need to take the trees down and get them to the mill location he would designate.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »
I'm confused. You stated: "His original estimate was it would take him 2 days but he did 3 days and is maybe half done"

Are you saying he is already cutting and 3 days of cutting is maybe half done? 

As far as making a mill purchase, there are a lot of unknowns that need to be addressed.

1. How many potential logs do you have to mill? Species?  Size?
2. What is the overall goal?  Private wood source for woodworking?  Selling the lumber? 
3. Do you have the means of cutting the trees down?
4. Do you have the means of hauling the logs once on the ground or are you looking at milling each one where it falls?
5. Do you have space to stack your lumber for drying? 

I could probably list a lot more but that should get things rolling.

In my case, I wanted a mill because I did a lot of woodworking and wood from the box stores was just to expensive and limited.   I had an abundance of potential lumber from trees on our family property and that was a big factor that helped me pull the trigger on buying a mill.

Milling is work, as is felling, bucking, hauling, tailing, stacking, etc. 

I am glad I purchased a mill with hydraulics as I don't think I could manage a manual mill today at almost 60 yrs old. 

What I did not expect was the mill being the best investment I ever made, next to my wife!  It has paid for itself ten times over. 

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Tom the Sawyer
  • Major Contributor
  • Converting logs to lumber at your home or mine.
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 10:47:30 AM »
As others have mentioned, more information would get you more accurate answers.  Your original post indicated he worked at a daily rate and, for $4000, he expected it to take 2 days.  That is $2000 a day, which, even at 10 hours a day, would be $200 per hour... seems high (or something is off in the original post).  Personally, I have never generated a bill of more than $1200 for milling by the board foot in a long day.

If he is working for a daily rate, and has that much time in (and you have settled up with him),  you've spent most of your budget for buying a mill.  Yes, you can purchase a new sawmill for $4000, but what you get won't likely be anywhere near as capable as what he may have been using, and what other sawyers would be bringing to your site.

If you intend to continue using your mill for projects, long after this particular batch of logs (trees) is done, it may be a good investment.  If you are anticipating milling for hire after your project is done, your budget is woefully inadequate.  If you intent is to get this batch done and you'll have enough wood to last a lifetime, hire someone else to get it done.

I don't recall seeing  your location, which may be a factor in finding someone else.  If you decide to buy a mill, consider looking for a used mill.  They hold their value fairly well (if maintained) and if you can find one with hydraulics in your budget, it will be a wise upgrade.  I found mine, 18 months old and with 5 hours on it, for just over 20% off new price, through Sawmill Exchange.
Timberking B-20, log arch, F350 flatbed dump,
20' Trailer w/ log loading arch, Princeton forklift, Bobcat S250 w/ Frostbite grapple.  Nyle L200M kiln.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
I bought a small fully manual bandsaw mill a bit over a year ago. Heres my thoughts as a newby..

I'm retired so I have a lot of time on my hands, and a sawmill takes a LOT of time, especially if it is a manual mill, and you wont get anything but a manual mill in that $4000 range. You will need a lot of peripheral equipment to use one. Chainsaw(s) to cut down and cut up the trees. A tractor with a loader, preferably a loader with a quick change bucket with a few implements for the loader, a bucket for general stuff and at least in my opinion also a grapple for picking up logs and brush created from cutting down trees, and a set of forks for moving lumber after milling it.
All of the above takes time and equipment, I think anyway, it is enjoyable work, but also it is a lot of work!! You don't get as near as much lumber as you might think out of a tree, at least not as much as I thought I would. That being said in the year I've had my mill it has more than paid for itself. And no I have not sold any of the lumber I have made, I just use it for myself around the place here.
I bought a Woodmaxx 26e sawmill ( https://www.woodmaxx.com/SM_26_Portable_Saw_Mill_p/sm-26.htm ) if you want to have a look. It has changed a little since I bought mine but its pretty close. I also opted for an electric start option and am glad I did.