alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: I know this will sound dumb!  (Read 12338 times)

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
I know this will sound dumb!
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:08:16 AM »
Ok Frank....so tell me how the gadget works on the sky line that has an engine in it? Watching Ax Men is fascinating to me....I guess they are filming them right now since they are talking about all the timber down from storms....I presume those were the storms you mentioned?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: I know this will sound dumb!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:49:59 AM »
AS to the operation of the sky car; they use a tooting system. One, two, or three toots means different things.  One toot might mean car coming back down the hill.  Two toots might mean chockers set and three toots all clear yard away.  The fella running the shovel has a double drum system on the rig and runs the car by releasing a brake on the drum.  I do not know all of the minute details, as I have never operated such a unit.

Yes, on the storms from the recent past year or two.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »
Two drums on the yarder, The Mainline and the Haulback.  The Main line is the one the carriage rides on and the haulback is attached to the carriage. So, as Frank says release the haulback line and the carriage rolls down the main line.  The "tooter" is operated by one person down the hill and is called "The Whistle Punk."  He signals the yarder operator when to stop or start the carriage.  He can also tell the yarder operator to slacken of thighten the main line thus lowering or raising it.
I believe the motorized carriages allow the cables which attach to the logs, chokers, to be lowered or raised via radio signals so that would fall to the whistle punk to control.  Also there might be some motive power to allow the carriage to go up hill on a really long main line reach that won't straighten out from just pulling on it.  Main line is heavy. Some of the bigger yarders can reach out over 4,000 feet.  Since the main line can be over 1" in diameter, a third drum is also on the yarder called the Haywire.  The hay wire is generally a 3/8" line used to move the other lines around the area that is being logged.  It's not big so it can be pulled around stumps and snags left in a clear cut for the birds.  The area under the main line is referred to as a road.  When the mainline is moved it's called changing roads. A logging show is where the logging is going on.  If a company is logging more than one location each location is called a side.  You can have more that two sides going at the same time.
One toot is stop if your moving and start if your stopped.  I don't know all the signals but combinations of long and short signals are what is used.  One long in the afternoon is lunch time or later in the day it's the "let's go home" signal if the rigging (the carriage) is on the landing.  Standardized signals by law.

Originally of course all this was done with hand signals.  When electricity first came to logging a wire was run over the bank to where the whistle punk was but out of the way of the path of the incoming logs. He pretty much stayed clear of the actually logging for safety reasons because he was the one with communication to the yarder operator
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:24:00 PM by Stevem »
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »
Is this being filmed in your area? Looks like some wild country. I have trucked through the area, when I was driving cross country, but never got to "stop and smell the roses".
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 03:03:53 PM »
Yes it is, Jay.  Northwest of me about a hour and a half or better, as the crow flys.  It is in the Northwest corner of the state.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:46:52 PM »
Its the very place I visited last June when my truck was stolen.  Awesome country!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Steve G.

• Senior Contributor
    • Way of the Master
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »
Sheesh, I totally forgot about the show.... We were planning on watching it since a few months ago! And we forgot about it! :o :o :o :o :o
Do you think your a good person - find out!
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/