alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Sawmills and Sawing > Bandsaw Mills

Starting a Timber Frame Business

(1/2) > >>

jessepettengill:
Hey Sawyers,

I am looking to start a timber frame business with my son and we are about to purchase a bandsaw mill to make our timbers.  We want to do medium size barns, garages and camps, pavillions, car ports, etc. in ready made kits.  I am taking out a small business loan to help with some of the capital (some is coming from my retirement).  Obviously we all want to get the best deal for our money, so I am looking for advice on a fully hydraulic bandsaw mill.  Would you go new, and get less of a mill?  Would you try to find used and get more of a mill?  Would you choose portable to stationary (and why?).  We are looking at sawing 8X8 eastern hemlock, douglas fir, and white oak.  16 foot length max.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Kindly
Jesse P.

furu:
So many variables on what mill to get.  As you state used versus new.  There are fully hydraulic mills that are much more capable and others that are not.  Just how much speed do you want or is speed not an issue?  Is full hydraulic what you really mean or is fully powered.  Woodmizers are not fully hydraulic even their top end but they are great mills but do use a lot of electric motors as well as hydraulic.
What is your budget that drives everything as you know well.  Any more info that you can flesh out would help.

Crusarius:
I am selling my bandsawmill. 20'5" max cut length 48" max log diameter 2 blade lengths for 31 or 41" cut width. portable. 12k.

It is all manual but still a good start.

Ox:
For me I'd look for a fully capable used mill.  Just do lots of shopping around to find out the price points and make sure you're getting a decent price for what's there.

jessepettengill:

--- Quote from: furu on December 07, 2020, 12:03:54 PM ---So many variables on what mill to get.  As you state used versus new.  There are fully hydraulic mills that are much more capable and others that are not.  Just how much speed do you want or is speed not an issue?  Is full hydraulic what you really mean or is fully powered.  Woodmizers are not fully hydraulic even their top end but they are great mills but do use a lot of electric motors as well as hydraulic.
What is your budget that drives everything as you know well.  Any more info that you can flesh out would help.

--- End quote ---

I really appreciate the response.  I am primarily going to be milling posts and beams (10X10, 8X8, 6X6) so I am guessing that speed is not HUGELY important (posts and beams are a lot less cuts than say 2X4'a).  I am inexperienced though, so let me know if I am overlooking something obvious.  I will say that I will need to be cutting some larger logs (a 20 foot log big enough for a 10X10 sounds like a real pain to handle.  That probably necessitates hydraulic lifts and some kind of turning mechanism, right?

JP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version