alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Need help from Old Timers / going to jump into Sawmilling  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Tim

• New Contributor
Need help from Old Timers / going to jump into Sawmilling
« on: December 08, 2021, 08:44:50 PM »
I'll skip over all the life details and just say I'm starting a new chapter. Planning to try to make a small income from Sawmilling.  Mostly just want a really simple life and I don't mind working hard. 

Grew up hauling logs and my brother has done it all his life.  Moving back home, have land, some timber.  Not too worried about finding timber to saw, will probably get some free and a reasonable price on the rest. 

Not sure why but I am almost certain that a circle mill is what I want.  I want something I can make parts for if I have to.  I like mechanical things, can weld, wrench and most anything I need to do to make a machine run. 

I've read every post in this section of the forum and feel sure I could get the specific answers and help that I need.  What I need right now is some coaching on buying a mill.  What I have in mind is cutting and selling pine lumber to locals who are building barns, sheds etc.  Maybe some hardwood for cattle lots, trailer floors etc.  I don't need to make a lot of money just want a simple life and a way to make an honest dollar away from the rat race. 

I know that's not much to go on but any advice or warnings are appreciated.  If you think I have lost my mind that's ok too but I would like your opinion on why.

Thanks!!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Need help from Old Timers / going to jump into Sawmilling
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 11:33:52 PM »
Welcome aboard Tim. 

While I don't operate a circle mill, I have one here are on the farm that some day I will get set up and running.  I pretty much do as your want to do but with a band mill.  The biggest challenge early on was identifying actual costs so I could figure out the best rates to charge to ensure I stayed in the black. 

I will try to get Frank Pender off his but to get on here and hopefully address some circle mill points for you.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 09:11:56 AM »
Welcome, Tim!

I know very little about circle mills but the skill sets you have and the mental aspect you seem to have will take you far.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you better.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Tim

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 11:26:51 AM »
Kirk, Thanks for the input.  I do understand and have a lot of experience with figuring out real cost and profit.  Never tried it with wood but I have been self-employed for around 26 years.  I have known a lot of people who didn't get that and they didn't last too long. 

Thanks again. 

Offline furu

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 12:58:56 AM »
Welcome Tim

I too am of no help on the circle mill aspect but you have the right idea on what you need to do.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing.
Integrity is not just doing the right thing when no one is looking.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else will ever even know.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 05:20:09 AM »
I am a circle miller, or used to be, and also have a band mill.  Circle milling, with a basic handset mill, can be dangerous beyond belief, and the thickness of the kerf is what made me sell mine.....plus bits and shanks are expensive. Plus getting a blade "tuned up" can be expensive. I like the bandmill aspect because, it is simple to get set up to sharpen bands...the kerf is small, you don't loose a board or two every log...things go a lot slower when milling....but with a larger mill, can go about as quick....and it certainly takes less hp and fuel then a big circle mill.

Now I will offer this advice also from the perspective of Oklahoma...we get walnut, oak, and cedar for milling, not really into building lumber. Hope this helps.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.