alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: How to dry wood without kiln?  (Read 6705 times)

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
How to dry wood without kiln?
« on: March 05, 2022, 03:36:20 AM »
Hello .
I bought some logs of spruce. Trees cut few days ago. So they are fresh. I will cut it to boards 150x30mm (~ 6 x 1.2in). I want to dry it but don't have a kiln. I will use board to cover hose from outside. I my country starting spring. Few questions:
1. How much moist can be in boards which I can use to cover house from outside?
2.  What conditions need for boards drying to avoid cranks? (then we drying not in the kiln) .

I have some experience with ash, birch, pine. They all was stored undercover from rain and snow. After two years , they all have about 14% of moist. Ash and birch have a lot of cranks. Ash and birch was stored inside building, they don't see sun. I my country a lot of masters of wood are talking that it is not good to dry wood on the sun.
Thanks for any help.

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
Re: How to dry wood without kiln?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »
Stack and sticker the boards on flat level ground out of direct sunlight.  Put something over the top of them to keep rain and snow off.  It'll be about a year until you can use them.  Paint the ends of the logs before you do anything else.  Just about anything will work - cheap spray paint is what I use.  The idea is to seal off the end grain of the log.  If you don't you risk deep cracking and checking on the ends of the boards you saw out as they dry. 

I hope this helps a little.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 07:46:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Your air-dried wood is going to dry to whatever moisture you have in your area.  The lowest air-dried I have seen at my place is 10% in the winter and about 13% in the summer.  Depending on what you plan on using it for makes a difference as to how dry you need it or if it needs to be kiln dried. 

If you're going to make furniture, for example, most will turn out best with kiln-dried lumber.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline lauztuvass

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 07:38:04 AM »
Hello, thanks. Like I said before. I have some wood , which was placed in dry place. I real, no heat, temperature same as outside. Tested moist - it is about 14% . This wood (which I want to dry) I will use to cover walls of house. Outside walls.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 03:25:25 PM »
I would not be concerned about kiln drying anything that is going to be on the outside of a structure. 

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!