alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Shopping for first portable band saw  (Read 4349 times)

Offline jimkendrick

• New Contributor
Shopping for first portable band saw
« on: April 20, 2023, 03:25:48 PM »
My son in Vermont is shopping for (a) log-length mill  (b) obvious price ... this will be a part-time job and (3) availability.

We've been all over the search engines ... but we're stuck. Years ago my company owned a site called LawnSite, so I told my son I will reach out here ... and have confidence we'll get good advice. Thanks!   Jim

Offline jimkendrick

• New Contributor
Re: Shopping for first portable band saw
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 04:07:08 PM »
I have been using a chain saw hookup ... which is okay, but I need to do custom lumber now ... trim, etc. Just wondering if I can get away with one of the Ali Express or some such thing, or if I have reasonable alternatives so I don't spend a fortune .... at this point in my young business.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 05:50:16 AM »
Define "log length"

What equipment do you have for log handling?  If none, think long and hard about spending he extra cash (if there is such a thing), on hydraulics. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 08:45:07 AM »
Cost-wise I'd try to find a used American made mill vs. buying one from across the pond.   A fully manual mill is cheapest but log handling that was mentioned before is a huge part of this equation.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline jimkendrick

• New Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 05:35:01 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  We're looking at Woodland Mills. They seem to have good equipment and they ship from Buffalo, NY, which isn't that far from our place in northern Vermont.
     My son has 30 acres ... not old growth, but good sized soft wood ... and some giant hardwoods. The by-hand thing is just too slow. He has a house on site to rebuild and he needs lots of special-sized trim for his painting jobs.
     Thanks! We're already better off then we were two days ago, thanks to you folks.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 07:11:04 AM »
So I bought a Woodmaxx bandmill about 5-6 years ago and it has done me well, its also from NY . At the time it came with a 19 foot bed which allows me to cut 16 footers, not sure if it still comes with that bed, but have a look. Again what peripheral equipment do you have to move logs and lumber around? And what's your budget?

Offline Ox

• Senior Contributor
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 09:57:08 AM »
That Woodlands mill is essentially an upgraded, fancier looking Harbor Freight sawmill.  Don't let the fact they're sold out of America fool you.  It's a foreign made Chinese mill.  Apparently they've done the necessary fixes to chronic problems a while ago and are left with a decent mill for the price for beginning or hobbyist sawmilling.

Disclosure:  This is what I have learned through people smarter than me at least several years ago.  I haven't been following sawmilling in quite some time.  Haven't even used mine in over 3 years due to other responsibilities and lack of need for it at the present time.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
  • The bravest of all is he who conquers himself.
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 10:12:34 AM »
Saw your question (pun intended) and realized I went over this information not long ago and started writing up a review that I never finished. So, I finished it up and here it is;

Comparing Woodland Mills, Norwood, and Wood-Mizer: Pros and Cons

When it comes to choosing a sawmill for your personal, commercial, or industrial needs, it can be overwhelming to sift through the various brands, models, and features available. Three popular brands in the sawmill industry are Woodland Mills, Norwood, and Wood-Mizer. Each brand offers unique advantages and disadvantages, so it's important to understand the pros and cons of each before making a decision.

Pros and Cons of Woodland Mills, Norwood, and Wood-Mizer

Woodland Mills, Norwood, and Wood-Mizer all have their own set of pros and cons. Woodland Mills sawmills are affordable and easy to use, making them an ideal choice for beginners or those on a tight budget. However, they may not be as durable as other brands and are not designed for heavy-duty use. Norwood is known for their portable sawmills, which are great for those who need to move their equipment around frequently. They also offer a wide range of sawmills to choose from, but they can be quite expensive.

Wood-Mizer is a well-known and respected brand in the sawmill industry. Their mills are high-quality, durable, and designed for heavy-duty use. They also offer a wide range of models to choose from, including portable and stationary options. However, their mills can be quite pricey, and they may not be the best choice for beginners.

Features and Specifications Comparison of Woodland Mills, Norwood, and Wood-Mizer.

When comparing the features and specifications of Woodland Mills, Norwood, and Wood-Mizer sawmills, there are a few key differences to consider. Woodland Mills sawmills typically have a maximum log diameter of 26 inches and a maximum board width of 20 inches. Norwood sawmills have a similar log diameter but can handle wider boards, up to 36 inches. Wood-Mizer sawmills have the largest log diameter capacity, up to 36 inches, and can handle boards up to 32 inches wide.

Another important feature to consider is the type of blade each brand uses. Woodland Mills and Norwood both use standard thin kerf blades, which are readily available to replace and affordable. Wood-Mizer, on the other hand, also a thin-kerf blade, produces high quality cuts and seem to be made to higher quality standards and stay sharp longer, but can be more expensive. NOTE: Wood-Mizer also provides blades that will fit many other makes of sawmills including Woodland Mills and Norwood.

Conclusion: Choosing the Best Sawmill for Your Needs

Overall, choosing the best sawmill for your needs depends on several factors, including your budget, experience level, and intended use. If you're a beginner or on a tight budget, Woodland Mills may be the best choice for you. If you need to move your equipment frequently, Norwood's portable mills are a great option. For heavy-duty use and professional-grade results, Wood-Mizer is the way to go. Whatever your needs, be sure to do your research and choose a sawmill that will meet your specific requirements.

So, there it is, I hope this helps. I have seen some articles with more extensive research and details but I think this is a good summary for anyone just getting started.

Offline A.O.

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 02:45:51 PM »
Also, another thing to look for in my opinion is the auto-lube feature, it automatically starts the lube stream when you hit the throttle, a lot of them did not have that back when I was looking, had to turn it on and off every time you pushed the saw through a log. Also look for a see through lube container, when I was looking the Woodland mills had a stainless tank, which sounds good but it had no indicator to let you know how full it was.

Offline Thomas M Barnes

• New Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 09:48:38 AM »
There's a company up in Maine that has been importing mills frm Sweden by the name of Fox Forestry. The import cost kicks up the price a little but the swedes know how to put stuff together. And if time constraints were important they had some available last I knew, a few other manufacturers were like 18 months out. Could save yourself shipping by driving up to get the mill too.