alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: any idea's for veneer?  (Read 10448 times)

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
any idea's for veneer?
« on: April 12, 2008, 06:06:40 AM »
hey everyone,  i work at a veneer plant and we have so much scrap pc's that go into a dump truck and dumped at the landfill. i was thinking about taking some home but i don't have any idea's that would be worth doing?  could cut em into strips and weave some baskets i guess ;) let me know if ya's got an idea.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: any idea's for veneer?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:40:55 AM »
First of all, the weaving is a graet idea.  I do that with various speices myself, but iit is not really veneered wood.  I use wood that I saw on the table saw and run through the plane, down to about 3 /32nds of an inch or less.  I use them for wall hangings

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:27:54 AM »
Another thing I have done, in years past, has been to take thin strips of wood and weave them into a shape and then attatch them to a solid surface of a diferent species or to a piece of plywood for a project.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »
So how large are the scraps, typically?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »
the scraps are usualy small like the ends and stuff like that, and some have knots in em...most the guys use it to start fires or burn in the garage in the spring or fall. i just hate seeing all that wood wasted....we use a old 70's ford dump truck with plywood standing the longways for sides and that gets dumped about 3-4 times a week....sometimes more.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 05:17:15 PM »
Small strips are commonly sold at craft shows for the arts & craft uses.  I have also seen them sold at woodworking shows. 

Never underestimate E-bay either. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
i'm thinking about getting a box and throw the better ones in there and then just put em on e-bay ask somthing like "mix venner 10 lb's" i guess it won't hurt to make a few up and try it. it'll give me somthing to do while i'm at work(man does cutting veneer for a job get old fast)