alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: shiplap siding question?  (Read 9108 times)

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• Major Contributor
shiplap siding question?
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
i may be getting my first house soon and am thinking about putting cedar lap siding up. my uncle has a wood mizer lt 40 so i asked him if he's got the attachment, he said no but there was a guy who bought cedar 1" boards and routered out each side and did a shiplap siding with it on a shed and a lady liked it so she had her house done in it. anyways my question is how good of a idea is it? anyone have any experiance using that type of siding? how good is cedar siding? i'm thinking it will look cool and be a lot cheaper then the plastic stuff, also my girlfriends dad gave us some maroon steel roofing to put on it also. any advise on the siding and/or instalation of would be much help. thanks.

Josh

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: shiplap siding question?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
First there is a great difference between shiplap and lap siding.  Shiplap was a way to use green 1" boards for sheeting without having a gap show up when the boards dried.  It also provided a little bit more rigidity in the horizontal position because of the overlap of each board.  I think it was really great as a sub floor
Cedar lap siding is considered a premium siding (read $$$$) at least in the west.  Prefered is clear wood.  Naturally bug and rot resistant, holds pain well and pretty light and easy to work,  It can last the life of the house and doesn't really need to be painted.  Many a house on the Oregon coast were sided with cedar and left bare of paint to weather to a silvery gray color so often seen in "rustic" pictures of the area.  Think I've seen the same thing for New England homes on the coast.  Red and Port Orford cedar are the speicies of choice here.  Don't know what you have available.  Lap siding can also be applied with normal cut boards, i.e no taper. It looks more rustic.   

Vertical Board and Bat siding is another scheme used with roughsawn lumber that can be put up with green boards and not have the shrinkage cracks show.   They were covered by the bats (narrow boards).  Many people like the look, it lasts a long time and is easy to repair if damage occurs to any of the boards or bats.  A variation of this is Bat and Board where the narrow boards are put down first allowing a dead airspace next to the wall.  I'd think it would be more difficut to apply and provide a nice home for bugs and such, but it's different looking which some people like. 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!