alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Black Walnut / English Walnut Grafted Bench / Coffee Table  (Read 15473 times)

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
  • The bravest of all is he who conquers himself.
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
Black Walnut / English Walnut Grafted Bench / Coffee Table
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »
The graft line stands out pretty good in this piece. 15” tall, 15” wide, 36” long, Watco Natural Oil finish.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:52:25 AM by Kirk Allen »

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Black Walnut / English Walnut Grafted Bench / Coffee Table
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:55:21 AM »
That is the first time I have ever seen a grafted tree sawn.....very impressive! Thanks for sharing the photos.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:24:51 AM by joasis »
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:48:05 AM »
Very Nice!  :o

Do they graft those English with the Black to reduce the walnut mess so common with the Black Walnut? 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
  • The bravest of all is he who conquers himself.
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 11:32:44 AM »
The black walnut has a strong root stock and small nuts with no real commercial value. The English walnut will not do well in our soil so the graft produces a strong root stock and high volume nuts.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »
Very nice, Tree Bones.  I have a sawed as number of such trees.  The graft is always interesting to see.  The graft at the ground level will often create burl and some of them are delicious.  One of the earlier types of grafts, here on the left coast, is called the LA high graft and that is when you can really see the graft from both sides.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 10:16:43 PM »
Back in the late '80's I took a horticulture class at the local cow college, Oregon State) and was told grafting English Wallnut to Black Walnut was an incaptiable graft,  but it didn't show up for 30-40 years.  The teacher showed us a cross cut of a graft and it was beautiful.  The white wood grafted to the black walnut with a very pronounced VEE shape. 
I know they still graft but thought they'ed gotten away from the black walnut root stock.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!