alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: when i retire  (Read 17276 times)

Offline coal miner

• New Contributor
when i retire
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:38:03 PM »
new to your site.most questions i have i can find in your forum.plan on buying a new mill not sure on brand or type yet.will mostly cut my own wood to sell but will offer custom sawing.i have about a 150 acer wood lot. with a lot of big timber.did cut and sell 40ooo board foot of cherry logs to a mill at 1.00 a board foot 10 years ago all where over16''. tall and straight cant hardly tell i cut anything today.do have a old belsaw i cut some on but to limited on size of log and not real accurate. but i do enjoy cutting.8 more years till i retire at 55. but going to buy the mill in a year or 2 going to a show in march in morgantown WV .hope that will help me in my decision on the type i want. live in Ohio but tristate area pa WV.any input will be appreseated

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: when i retire
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 03:04:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 03:22:41 PM »
First off welcome to the site and congradulations on the future retirement!

Do you have a means of moving logs now?  I suggest going larger than you think you will need as it never fails once you get use to cutting you will wish you had a bigger mill.

Hydraulics are a savior in this business and at our age we need all the help we can get ;D 

We have a link to most bandmills on the market that may be of some help.
http://www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/index.php/topic,48.0/all.html

Most any mill, new or used, brand name or home made will make great lumber provided the basics are followed.  Lots of used mills seem to be popping up on the market right now. 

If you going to be selling your own wood may I suggest focusing on a Kiln.  It can be the biggest asset you have when it comes to moving lumber. 

If your going to custom saw, portability is a plus.  It puts an extra $1000 in my pocket each year just in set up charges ($25 set up)

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline chaikwa

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »
Hydraulics are a savior in this business and at our age we need all the help we can get ;D

I beg your pardon! At 'our age'? I consider myself to be quite young at 47!

Welcome Coal Miner. (Hope I'm allowed to welcome people, bein' relatively new myself!)

I just finished the carriage portion of my mill, which is a Linn Lumber design. I think it's well thought out and it came out pretty darn good. He sells them completed in addition to selling 'kits', and if they're anything like what mine turned out to be, they should be pretty good. If you're looking for a manual mill I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I've seen a couple Timber King mills and I was pretty impressed with them. Someone on this forum had a service issue with them and the president himself came onto the forum to resolve the issue. I think that says a lot about where their priorities are. I like what I've seen of the Cook's mills too. Keep in mind, I like 'heavy'... the heavier built something is, the better! (what will do a lot, will do a little!)

I can't quite wrap my mind around the whole Wood Mizer thing tho. First of all, I have a hard time with the cantilever design... just seems like the weight would have a natural tendency to make the whole thing either sag or wear out whatever it is that they slide on. Secondly, from what I've seen, a lot of their price comes from the 'privledge' of buying the Wood Mizer name. I know people that have them and love them, but I spoke to 2 of their top sales people at a logging show this past summer, and they were anything BUT helpful and not all that friendly. Seemed like they were doing me a favor by just being there.  

chaikwa.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 04:47:09 PM by chaikwa »
I ain't smart e'nuff to realize I can't do sumpthin'.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »
chaikwa,
You can welcome anyone, 1 post or 1000.  The forum belongs to the members! 

Now on this age thing :D 
I too am 47 and although I feel young, I would feel "old" without my hyrdraulics.   ;D

As far as the cantilever design, the primary reason you dont see other companies doing it is because WM patented the concept.  The head doesnt slide on anything.  It has industrial guide rollers that handle the weight quite nicely and has proven to be an excellant design and a proven track record, thus the name recognition cost.  I have had several jobs come to me because I own a WM.  The customers had wood cut on other mills and werent happy with it.  Although it was not the mills fault for poor lumber, the perception with some is that the WM cuts better lumber.  Like I said above, if the basics are followed all mills will cut great lumber. One big thing WM has going for them is over 40,000 mills sold with a world wide distribution.  I dont know of anyone who has ever had one that was not satisfied. 

As far as the sales rep experience you had I cant speak to that but I can speak to the service I have gotten and bar none its been better than I could have ever hoped for.  With that, I think it says a lot of Timberking when the President got on this site to address concerns as well.  TK makes a great mill and most I know that have one love it.  The ones that dont, failed to get hydraulics ;D

Having attended numerous trade shows in my full time business, not to defend un freindly behavior, I can say on the late afternoon of the third day of a three day, 12 hour a day show, sales people cant focus on much of anything except getting home.  Sad but true.   :(

Offline coal miner

• New Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »
yes i do have a lot of means to move logs . my dad had a salvage yard for almost 40 years aka junk yard. i still have a roll back and a wrecker and a big wheel loader with forks and i also have a lot off farm equipment 60 horse international 115 horse case with front loader.wanting to buy a skid loader with cats for my plans also

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 05:57:49 PM »
Well with all that the only hydraulic options I can think of would be toe boards, log clamp and maybe a log turner. 

We like Junk Yards ;D  Lots of neet stuff to turned into usable creations ;D

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 07:59:43 PM »
Sorry, Coal Miner, I am a bit late in the welcome catagory.  All you young folks are beginning to make this old man feel some of his age. :angel:

I run a Mobile Dimension.  I have owned as many as 3 at one time, but found I could only run one at a time.  I am retired and put in just as many hours as I did, prior to retiring from teaching.  So, I would suggest that you get your mill as early as possible and work yourself into retirement. ::) ::)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:50:00 PM by Frank Pender »

Offline coal miner

• New Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 08:56:46 PM »
Thanks for a great welcome and all the friendly advice.I had the wrong date on the show in morgantown,it is May 29&30.Any other good tradeshows in the east that would be helpful for a interested buyer? Definitely like the idea of hydraulics for a log turner.Not sure about the head,because I did like the closeness to the log like the belsaw,but a remote would be great  but maybe too fancy.I really like simple and heavy duty.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »
If that is the case in your likes, you might consider a Mobile Dimension circle mill.  I doubt they will be in the East very soon.  If I hear of their traveling to your neck of the woods, I will let you know. 

I did hear the will be and the Oregon Conference this coming February 21.

Offline coal miner

• New Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »
I'm leaning more to a bandmill because I want to cut the widest boards I can with the least amount of waste.From what I see I like the cook,woodmizer ,timberking or the norwood.I'm not opposed to anything at this point,I'm still learning.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:29:06 PM »
Well, if that is what you want to do, you are on the right track.  You might really consider the Linn Mill.  I know Gary does a great job with his product.  I tried to by one as couple years ago, but he was 9 months out at the time.  I could not wait, so I bought an Oscar 36, Hudson, to do what you are talking about.  I use it to produce Maple Burl turning stock, slabs for tables, mantles and such.

Offline chaikwa

• New Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
... As far as the cantilever design, the primary reason you dont see other companies doing it is because WM patented the concept.  The head doesnt slide on anything.  It has industrial guide rollers that handle the weight quite nicely and has proven to be an excellant design and a proven track record, thus the name recognition cost.  I have had several jobs come to me because I own a WM.  The customers had wood cut on other mills and werent happy with it.  Although it was not the mills fault for poor lumber, the perception with some is that the WM cuts better lumber.  Like I said above, if the basics are followed all mills will cut great lumber. One big thing WM has going for them is over 40,000 mills sold with a world wide distribution.  I dont know of anyone who has ever had one that was not satisfied.
I hear you on WM. I don't know anyone that isn't satisfied with theirs either. It was just that one experience that kinda soured me to the whole deal. In my primary business, I do some trade shows myself and I understand how you get tired of the game towards the end of the show. My WM experience however was on opening day, about midway thru the day. I remember thinking that because I look like some kinda back country hick, they probably thought I had no money and wasn't worth their time. That's kinda WHY I look like a back country hick in the first place... let's me know who has their attitudes in the right place!  :laugh:

chaikwa.
I ain't smart e'nuff to realize I can't do sumpthin'.

Offline coal miner

• New Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:17:17 PM »
I will look into the Linn Mill.I havent checked it out yet,Thanks for the advice.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 11:26:23 PM »
Chaikwa, do not feel like the Lone Ranger on the looks issue.  I am a back woods looking guy all the time.  It is a good way to be. ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 08:38:26 AM »
Frank I wouldn't call you back woods looking but the term Lone Ranger seems to fit, especially with that side arm you carry ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »
In fact, Coal MIner, if you work it right you might purchase a Linn mill, hitch a ride with Kirk and come out here and pick it up, on one of his trips this way.   The Linn mills are made about 60 miles from me, across the Willamette Valley, in the foothills of the Cascade Mountain Range.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 01:56:51 PM »
Battle Ground, Washington looks to be the next trip Frank  ;D

Offline danweb

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 01:57:47 PM »
Hello and welcome to the site coal miner. You will find a great bunch of friendly guys on this site who have a world of knowledge to offer. I am still fairly new on here myself and dont feel shy about asking questions. i have been doing that from day one. Now let me put my two cents worth in as far as saw manufacturers. The Timberking statement that was made was referring to a small misunderstanding that I had with TK about a blade sharpening issue. I made a mistake and jumped the guy on accusing TK of being slow in sharpening a few blades I had sent them, and come to find out it took way too long for them to receive my shipped blades. Lost in delivery somewhere along the line. And I just thought it was TK setting on their laurels. :-) Well to make a long story short, I have appologized to Tk and yes Will Johnson (The president of Timberking)came onto the web site and addressed my dissatisfaction personally. And after driving to Kansas City and meeting Will and Mark and some of the other guys there at TK , I can personally say they are a bunch of nice people who definately do care about their product and their customers. And as far as the mill itself, I never had any problems with my saw. It was a Tk 1220 mill. All manual, and as Kirk stated, if your going to get a saw, definately look into the Hydraulics. I made that mistake and have since rectified that problem, because I have purchased my second mill from Timber King  this past week, and yes it has the hydraulics. I love it. Will post pics. soon. So definately think about TK when the time comes, I do recommend them highly.
" Live Life With an Attitude of Gratitude "

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 07:13:49 PM »
There you go, Coal Miner, your transportation is arranged.  Now, all we have to do is convince Kirk to be the driver. ;D ;) ;D ;)

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »
howww dee welcome
look at the kasco saw2b i have one , its track is 1/2" x4" angle its tough
http://www.kascomfg.com/_products/_sawmills/SAWMILL%20LITERATURE.pdf
if possibe consider building your kiln & hire out the sawmilling to fill it the first time at least that way the wood sale can help pay for mill & you get hours of experence off loading your lumber while someone else cuts & teaches
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline coal miner

• New Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »
Hi mike looked at kasco site not much on there about price or specks.but thank u for input.i think after i go to some trade shows i will know my saw when i see it. i don't think learning will be much of a problem for me like i said do have a old 46 '' bellsaw mill i run from PTO  that i cut wood for the farm with and a Little furnisher quality stuff with too.and i have cut and hauled my own timber to the mill. more of the hands on loner type here.been running heavy equipment since i was around 13 years old in the junk yard and at work now. I'm what u call a operate which i run a miner.my miners i run r a joy cm 14 witch u run like a dozer sit down with hydraulic sticks the other is a alpine that is a remote controle that u sump the top frame into the coal instead of tramming into it like the joy.