alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Biomizer Sawdust Burner  (Read 184230 times)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Biomizer Sawdust Burner
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »
Look forward to hearing from you.

All is going extremely well here.  Biomizer has been up and running non stop for the last several days with no issues.  We had torrential horizontal rain with 50 mph gusts the other day and I wasn't sure how that would effect things but it appears all is good to go! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline control

• New Contributor
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2008, 10:20:42 PM »
In the interest of full disclosure, this is Bret.

Glad to hear the burner is running well, we all appreciate your kind words. 

The last project I worked on is the new 17degree sawmill mentioned in the news above.  We introduced it at the wood tech show in Portland, Oregon last month.  It is called the 4250SCH.  It is a 2" bandsaw with 42" wheels and a 50Hp electric motor, the saw headrig stands about 14' tall.  To say that it is a step up from the LT300 would be a serious understatement.  We have partnered with Cleereman up in Wisconsin who are providing a carriage that we are mounting stationary and moving the saw across.  I wrote the software and designed the electrical systems.  I could go on and on but I'm sure there's a policy against sales on the board.       

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2008, 02:14:32 AM »
No policy Bret, promote away. Of course, a free sample wouldn't be refused. :D
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2008, 06:53:35 AM »
Welcome, Bret.  I spent all of one morning and part of an afternoon at the same show.  I guess I did not see the machine through the machines.  Toooooo bad for me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 10:28:03 PM by Frank Pender »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2008, 07:17:07 AM »
Welcome to the site Bret and thanks again for all your efforts.  The burner is working flaulesly since your visit. 

I am confident that the fix for just about all the problems I had was the ash auger programing. 

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2008, 07:03:36 AM »
Good A.M. ! We have had a tough week-end here. M. Nature delt us a bad hand to bet on,... 30 mph N.E. winds  & 28"- 32" of heavy wet snow!! This A.M. I will be attempting to move the 7 ft. snow pile that slid off my sawmill bldg. We are buried to a temporary stand-still. I had a logger to bring in 2 trk. loads of aspen but thats on hold now too. Limited progress on the BIO-UNIT, taking the insp. cover off the bottom section revealed that the WOK was sitting improperly in place. (due to having to rotate the top section for proper alignment) The WOK could have been made 2-3" wider to fix that problem. After another day (long) of scooping & hauling the white stuff away, I hope to be back to somewhat normal situation. More stuff later.---

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »
I know the wok they brought out for my fix had a 2" lip around it and it seemed to take care of the problem I was having with it shifting. 

Sorry to hear of all the snow shutting you down.  Rain has us shut down because of all the mud. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »
I have to say the one major advantage I am seeing over a wood boiler is that this system is an on-demand system. 

I fired up the system last night before going to bed and shut it off around 2 am.  (had to get up and take care of business ;D ) When I got up at 6 the water temps were still in the 140 range, thus still providing warmth to the house. 

If I was using a wood boiler, if I understand them right, once the fire is lit, your burning whether you want the heat or not.  I think the Biomizer in the long run is going to prove to be one heck of a money saver. 

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »
Is the Biomizer only for sawdust and like material, or could wood chips from a chipper be used as well?
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »
With the weather like it is around here now, 50s and 40s,  I could let the furnaace go to ashes alone and the water temp would fall to around 149 degrees in about 18 hours.  There would be more than enough heated energy to keep putting heat into the house and for the water heater.  I could then throw more wood into the furnace box and rekindle the system to raise the water back up to 200 degrees, to start the process all over again.

I do know that I could have gotten a furnace with a sawdust burner system attatched if I had wanted and burned both sawdust and larger wood. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2008, 02:46:41 PM »
Jay, it will burn any biomass material provided it is about 3/8ths of an inch or smaller.

Frank, that is about what im doing now. Heat up the system to 195 then shut it down for the day - about 12 hours.  The system is only 80 gallons and I think with more water storage it wold last quite a bit longer. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »
I got back from our Fire Show in Indy and fired up the burner as its snowing this morning :o

So far everything is working like a champ on it!  For no fewer bugs that I have seen I would say they have a winner!  Got to love free heat ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2008, 02:04:39 PM »
I am cutting salvaged Heart Pine from old wharehouse flooring.  I put the sawdust from it into the Biomizer last night and what a fire that was.  I had to turn down the feed rate quite a bit. 

For those in the south, Fat Lighter is what this stuff looked like.  It was full of sap and burned HOT!  ;D

Hot is Good ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2008, 10:30:36 PM »
That kind of wood out here, use to be called "tradin' stock".

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2008, 01:48:05 AM »
Careful Frank, you're dating yourself. 
My daddy told me about trade wood and what you could trade it for.  And then somebody invented the Bic lighter.

I've heard it called "b;ack pitch" too.

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline control

• New Contributor
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
I haven't checked the board for a while,
Very busy these days.  We are focused on bringing the Million BTU version to market first, getting a couple of rev rolls in on it this summer.  Building, testing, etc. 3 units by about August. 

Sorry to break it to you, I think all 3 have homes already.  We are getting calls everyday from people who need this product.  People with dry kilns are really feeling Propane prices.  Spending literally hundreds of dollars per day on gas. 

The current design of the large burner does not blow the fuel the same way that the small one does and can therefore handle up to 1" screening from a chipper.  We are perfecting the controls that already allow more flexibility of fuel.  It automaticly adjusts fuel rate to achieve and maintain a constant burn temperature.  And the heat exchanger is a different design allowing better operation at idle (gas consumption goes to zero after startup even if you idle for long periods).  Some of these improvements will carry over to the small burner in future revisions.   

It is common on the small burner, like KEA mentioned, when you get a new (spieces, moisture content, whatever) fuel you need to manually adjust fuel and air rates (seperately) to re-optomize the system.  Too little air and you have smoke, too much air cools the burn chamber robbing BTUs causing you to use more fuel to do the same job. 
Fuel is quite variable also.  It is some number of BTUs/lb dry (there are subtle differences between species, a bucket of hickery is heavier than a bucket of spruce, but BTUs/lb is about the same, the density is different), if the moisture content is up, it takes some of your heat to boil off that water. Sawdust from a bandsaw is pretty dense, plainer shavings are fluffy (needs to be augered in much faster).  We are working toward a system that is mostly self adjusting.

Sorry to be so dry and long winded.

I will be at the Richmond Show next month with our big new saw, the 4250SCH, at the AWMV booth.  Anybody who happens to be there please stop by and say hello :)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2008, 06:11:06 PM »
Great info Bret.  Thanks for the update. Things are going quite well with my unit and with any luck it will be heating the kiln this summer. 

I think having temp controls that automaticly control the feed and air rate would be the cats meow, although what we have right now is pretty simple. 

I had a buddy that stopped by to check it out as he wanted to compare it to his new corn burner.  He was pretty proud of the computer controls of his corn burner etc. until he saw my running mine from my PC ;D 

No matches to light it!
No dusty clean out!
Simple to load!

The list goes on! 

I have a load of kiln dried walnut from the gunstock builder burning right now. 12% on the feed rate, 22% on the air, Combustion temp averages 1350F!  :o

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »
Well the new rocket fuel of the day is 200+ year old heart pine sawdust.   :o 

Feed rates down to 10% and easily maintaining 1300F with the ceramics at 900-1000F.

I guess the sap in that stuff gives it the added boost!

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »
Good Sunday A.M. kEA & everyone.  WM will be sending us replacement items needed to allow us to get up & running. ( a new designed WOK & ceramic probe ). We have to move the unit out of it's shelter & dis-assemble the sections to MODIFY the heat baffle location. The present loc. does not allow the temp probe to be installed. The 1'st WOK falls in just like KEA's unit did. Seth & Jeff have been involved in working  on getting us these parts. Will up-date our progress. ---- later.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2008, 09:08:24 AM »
Thats a bummer seppi.  I figured you were up and running by now.  The new wok they made for mine seems to work great.  It has a 2" lip around the top of it and it cant fall in, or should I say it has not fallen yet :D

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #145 on: April 26, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »
I received shipment from WM today. A new improved WOK, new ceramic assmb., instruction book, &  comp. chip. Now,..... all we have to do is wait for Mother Nature to co-operate with us !!! We are smack in the center of just another winter storm.... 6 to 14 inches of snow & 35 mph. winds. We will progress with repairs & re-install etc. when weather permits.----- later.

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2008, 04:42:42 PM »
Not getting any snow but I am fireing up the burner tonight as its going to dip back down in the 40's tonight and mid 30's over the next couple days. 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2008, 11:28:36 PM »
Enjoying the free heat tonight untill.............................all of a suddent the combustion temp quit going up no matter what I set the feed rate at. 

Shut the unit down and ran out to make sure the auger was not packed for some reason and found an interesting problem.  Minor but still a matter to be aware of.

I had been putting the heart pine sawdust in the hopper until it was full.  That was at least 5 days ago.  This stuff is FULL of pitch and turns out after sitting that long it bridged on me.  The auger took out the fuel from the bottom and left a void where no sawdust was getting down to the feed auger. 

A quick poke in the hopper fixed it but I can see we are going to HAVE to have a second set of paddles up higher to stop this from happening. 

Got everthing going again and will check in the morning to make sure all is good.

Offline seppi

• Contributor
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2008, 06:58:18 AM »
Good feedback KEA!! I will keep this in mind when we use our pine bio-dust. Most of the pine we have screened with oak or ash mix. We are sawing 15,000 BF of aspen dunnage now + prime side material. Have anyone been using aspen bio-dust yet for testing?? We are forcasted another major storm again starting thursday-sunday ( heavy rains & wet snow!!) More info coming later..---

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2008, 10:55:01 AM »
I have not but if its not less than 35% moisture it wont burn well at all.  Initially they thought green sawdust would be OK but testing has proven it takes LOTS of propane to get it to  burn, thus defeeting the goal of not using any propane.