alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Adding a dehumidifier to a solar kiln?  (Read 54176 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Adding a dehumidifier to a solar kiln?
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 10:03:58 PM »
Carl, my neighborhood finds that I charge $.60 a board foot for drying lumber.  I was at $.50 for ten years and finally the cost of electricity pushed me to the next level.  It is a good money maker, along with the sawing.

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
Another load out last week and another load in over the weekend 1000 bf walnut and cherry on one side  oak, hickory, american chestnut and some old growth chestnut from the old log cabin used for the slave quarters on the farm 1000 bf on that side too ;D should be ready by 1st of march if we dont get to much more snow temps in the kiln have averaged 50 to 70 deg above out side temps

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
Sounds like you are on your way to new found income, for sure.

Offline POC

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 01:31:51 AM »
What did you use for the roof of your kiln?

I've thought about building one just as soon as I can.  I've read though that if you dry the lumber, then take it out it takes back on the humidity in the air, which I understand, then how would it be any different from lumber at the lumber yard?  Theirs sits outside.  So wouldn't my lumber be as good as theirs?

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »
I used the coragated clear roofing from home depot for the roof I kiln dried some maple and oak about a year n a half ago and stored it in an outside shed open on three sides for the last 10 months I though I'd have to run it all through the kiln again before taking it to the new ware house It went from 6% to only 8%

Offline POC

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
Thanks Carl,
That is what I was kinda figuring....