alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Another project  (Read 14290 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Another project
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »
Just as life was getting dull I've added another project.

About 30 years ago I had an old welder/generator from another business that I gave my inlaws for their startup logging business.  200 amp AC welder with a 5K intergal generator.  The motor (Onan) had just been overhauled with probable less than 100 hours.

Was over there the other day and saw it had been rolled outside without the air cleaner and no sort of cover.  Was a little upset so brought it home to repair it or sign the death certificate.

The welder is a 200 amp Marquette which was old 30 years ago but really heavy duty.

Got it home and drained the oil (and water), emptyed the carburator of water, removed the spark plugs and pushed the water out by rotating the engine (I about got my face washed).  Suprisingly the engine turned over easily and still has compression. Shouldn't have to buy a motor!

The welder had 2 of the plug ins for amp range broken and 1 very crippled because the board holding them had been broken (phenelic resin?).  Other than that and surface rust the unit looks really good. Haven't had a bit of problems with stuck nuts and bolts/screws.   

As far as I can see the only thing I think I need is a new board (need the material to make it with) and an air cleaner.  The old air cleaner was an oil bath and just clamped directly on the carb. 

I burnt a lot of 6011, 7018 and hard facing rod with that welder so it seems like an old friend who's been miss treated and finally come home.  It's mounted on a little road worthy 2 wheel trailer and probably weight close to 800 pounds.  Retail value new today is between $5k to $8k. 

Any body got an air cleaner that might fit?

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Another project
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »
They dont make them for that any more.  I will pick up what you have and pay you good scrap money for it ;D :laugh:
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »
Kirk, since you have more experience than me is such things, is that a good deal (for me)? ??? ???
Stevem

Online Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Of Course  :D :laugh: ;)

I'll have an endangered species stop over and pick it up for me ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 05:41:48 PM »
Careful there youngen, if it gets here, it may not leave. ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:54:35 AM »
Update:

Discovered last night that the center heat range (individual plugs) is kaput.  Wire going to the transformer is broken beyond my repair capability.  You'd have to rewind the entire transformer, but that still leaves 6 ranges.

Also determined that the engine has good oil pressure.  That was encouraging. 

I never realized how heavy duty Onan engines were.  380 pounds, 4 quart oil sump, for 12.9 HP. 

Waiting now for a pheneloic board to hold the leads.  Ordered from Graingers.

If after all this if it doesn't weld I might take you up on your offer Kirk, assuming you can find an endangerd speices that will leave it's protected enviornment. 
Stevem

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 11:20:43 PM »
Some species are more endangered all the time. ;D ;D ;D

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »
i got some boat motors that resemble that remark

Some species are more endangered all the time. ;D ;D ;D
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Another project update
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:34:21 PM »
The welder runs great.

Got the phenelic board and drilled all the holes for the range plugs, it's really hard stuff.  Had to step drill with three different drill sizes after Buying the 7/8" for the final size.

Went to start the engine and no go, after I thought I checked it I had no compression.  So I pulled the heads to see what was what.  Both exhaust valves were hanging open from rust.  Managed to work them free by tapping them in and rotating the motor to push them out.  Four or five times and they seemed free.  Put the heads back on with the same gaskets (low compression engine, $25 gaskets)

Added gas, set the choke, wound up the rope and it started on the first pull.
Was so suprised almost forgot to take off the choke.

The weld voltage at "idle" is about 35 volts.  Welding at about 90 amps doesen't even load the motor, 160 gets a little kick from the governor.  If I kick the throttle up (where I used to weld with it) voltage goes up to about 90 volts.  Now I know why my welding rod used to glow orange half way down the stick.

Had to buy two tires for the trailer and got new mufflers installed.  Dual, go fast, exhaust stacks.  Not a complete job but some paint was added to the sheet tin to make it look better.  Used up about 2 rolls of tape and some shrink tubing on the leads as they had many bare spots showing wire.  The were just bought, 30 years ago.  Some stuff just never last!!!
Now I just need something to weld.

Stevem

Offline Stephen Wiley

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
= .......trailer time ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 12:17:18 AM »
If you've got the steel!
Stevem