alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: American #2  (Read 7817 times)

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
American #2
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
I have a fella in the Northwest coast area that is looking for the parts for an American #2 Sawmill.  Any ideas are welcome.  He is seeking part for the carrage, like wheels, I believe.

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: American #2
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »
Quickest way would be to head for a machine shop and have them fabricated.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 11:14:23 PM »
That was my thought as well, Jay.  I gave him some leads, but will wait to see what happens.

Offline Leo Plas

• New Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »
That would be me looking for parts for a currently working mill belonging to a friend.  About ten years ago I set up his mill on concrete, powered it with a Mack truck engine and converted the feed works to hydraulic.  Nothing was done to the carriage at the time.  I am now in the process of figuring out all the things that are wrong with the carriage on this mill and whether fixing rather than replacing the carriage is the thing to do. 
  The axles have worn through the babbit and into the cast iron of the pillow blocks and the flat bottomed v-groove in the guide wheels is worn so that the wheel is riding on the top of the guide rail rather than the sloped sides.  There is wear on the bolsters and knees that make it a problem to saw square cants  as well.  The plan is/was to machine the groove in the wheels 1/8 to 1/4" deeper so that the wheels ride on the sides of the rail and replace the axles, use ball bearing pillow blocks instead of the babbit  bearings, and mill the bolsters and knees and install some stainless wear strips.  I am advised by Frank that it would be a bad idea to jigger with the wheels for fear of weakening them.  The axles would be replaced with the same size( 1 11/16") shafting  but ball bearing pillow blocks of this size are quite a bit smaller than the existing plain bearings.  I don't know if this smaller bearing package is going to be a problem.  This may not be the place for intuitive engineering.

So, maybe a whole other carriage would be a better idea, if I can find one.
Leo Plas 

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »
Good to see you here, Leo.  All that info. is far better than me trying to remember everthing we spoke about.  Thanks for checking in with us on the forum.