alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Lumber  (Read 11958 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Lumber
« on: October 19, 2009, 09:35:11 PM »
Ever wish you could grade lumber if for nothing else to be able to do your own house building.  Well somebody did something about it in Wisconson.

Small sawyers can grade lumber for themselves and people that they saw for.

Here's the law. 

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2007/data/acts/07Act208.pdf

Think I'll send the link to our local cow college.

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
Re: Lumber
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »
Great idea, Steve.  I will do the same and push hard, when I do.  Scot Levengood is the fella to send the information.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »
I didn't send it to Scot, but the one under him that I wrote to about the OWIC news content that sucks.
Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
I have found NO LAW that says you CANT grade your own lumber.  What I researched years ago was a self established monopoly of intimidation and self created rules for grading softwood. 

I know many sawyers who have created their own grading stamp and the stamp their lumber for the grade it meets.  As long as the standard information is on the stamp I found no legislation preventing you from grading and stamping you own.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 01:35:29 AM »
I believe that the building code is incorporated as part of the state law and spells out a recognized grading service as the accepted standard.  Provisions are provided for alternative materials but you have to prove it.   

So if you live in a state that has accepted the building code (I think all have) and your in a county (parish) that uses it and you have to have a building inspected they look for a recognized grade stamp.  You can grade your own lumber but the inspector doesn't have to accept it.  If the building codes aren't enforced in an area then no inspection and no need for a stamp.  It's mostly done on a county level. 

In this county and most counties in this state anything over 120 sq ft needs a building permit.  If you build anything bigger and are found out then you can get fined and be required to get a permit or tear the structure down.  Big fines for contractors who err.

Permits are a revenue source for counties and they don't give it up easily.  And grading is a revenue source for the grading bureaus and they don't give it up lightly.

I see Ill. has no building codes

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:52:40 AM by Stevem »
Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
Lots of Cities do but not in our county.  Lets keep that quite!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »
I won't tell a soul ;D ;D
Stevem

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 04:27:06 AM »
I got a code enforcement jerk fired for coming onto my property.  He was so afraid that he brought four deputies in two cars and his own.  He had to have a court order to come here.  He was without a job the next day, I saw to that. >:(

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 11:24:43 AM »
Well tell the storey!, please
Stevem

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 07:28:25 PM »
I've heard it and its a good one!  :police: :D :D

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 10:02:20 AM »
I refused to pay the countym the fee of $571 to replace a modular home here on the farm, I have as a rental.  Only one department came to inspect, the ceptic system.  No others would come out here and earn the money (fee).  I found out my permit number and slaped it on a piece of paper for the front of the two part unit to be move onto the site.  Five years later, this jerk decides to collect the dollars.  I told him there are two ways to leave this farm and he had better have a court order to be here.  He got one from another county as all three judges had a conflict of interest, there are good friends of mine.  In fact, one is the godfather of my children.  He arrived with four deputies.  Two which had been students.  The students were applogetic.  I told that I would have been upset with them if they were not doing as they were insutructed.  The code guy started tell me I had to get a permit to push blackberries around and I said no way.  He kept insisting that he was right.  I told he I had served 4 years on the planning commission in the county and two as chair, I knew the rules.  He backed off and never went to the site of the new home and left.  The next day I was in the County court house and had three commissioners in a room, listening to me about the happenings the previous day.  By the end of the day, the "jerk" was out of a job. :angel:

Offline Mr Mom

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
one for the good guys

Thanks Alot Mr Mom