alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Hello from Transylvania  (Read 16707 times)

Offline Kezdiman

• New Contributor
    • Wild Transylvania
Hello from Transylvania
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:07:12 AM »
Hi, I'm Paul a Brit living in Transylvania. I came across your site when doing a search on some site stats and read a thread about someones sawdust burner. My friend Istvan in Transylvania made one from old bits and bobs around the garage including a car battery, bike chain and old bits of metal. He even made the burner and water tank. The system works well and heats a large family home. Not the most sophisticated system but it works and cost very little to put together.

You can see the system here with a video of it in action! http://www.kezdiman.com/2009/10/honey-maker.html
Istvan also makes honey hence the URL title!

Cheers, Paul

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Hello from Transylvania
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »
Welcome here and thank you for sharing.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kezdiman

• New Contributor
    • Wild Transylvania
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 03:33:29 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Steve. One of my visitors from the west mentioned that Istvan should be wearing a mask when he is working with sawdust due to the increase risk of throat cancer. Is that really the case? There are thre big timber yards in my village and I have never seen anyone wearing protection like that? Or does it depend on the type of wood?

Cheers, Paul

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 09:14:29 AM »
Welcome to the site and thanks for the link. 

I have never heard of sawdust causing cancer but I guess if you look hard enough there will be someone make the claim and if its repeated enough it will become truth :D

Regardless, its never good to inhale fine particles of dust becuase there may be more than just wood fiber in that dust.  We now have over a hundred firefighters who have been medicaly retired from FDNY and all suffering from cronic lung problems and many from lung cancer.  Lots of particles in the air on 9-11.  In my opinion, the murders are continuing years after the attack!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Kezdiman

• New Contributor
    • Wild Transylvania
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

Just had a quick look on a google search and found this. I have put the source link underneath and the paragraph relating to sawdust is listed under causes and symptoms. Important reading if you are exposed to sawdust on a regular basis.

"In all parts of the world, people who work in sawmills or with wood products have a higher likelihood of acquiring nasopharyngeal cancer. Sawdust or chemicals in the wood may contribute to its development."

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3405200326.html

Cheers, Paul

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:02:37 PM »
No worries for me, as I have a very long nose. ;D :angel:

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 12:39:13 AM »
Some people react to wood very strongly.  Western hemlock is notorious for effecting the skin of some people .  It can cause sever eruptions, rash and itching.  Red cedar is known to cause respiratory problems for some people.

But back to the sawdust burner.  I think it's cool that someone can make something that works.  Now what he needs is a sawmill to make his own sawdust.  They got trees in Transylvania?

Stevem

Offline Kezdiman

• New Contributor
    • Wild Transylvania
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »
Hi,

Istvan is lucky because he knows one of the sawmill owner and gets all his sawdust for nothing. The deal is that he has to arrange a horse and cart to pick it up. That may change in the future as all the sawmills are looking at making pellets or brickets for burners. If you have the money the pellet fed ones are becoming more popular because you can leave them for 2-3 days at a time. Important as the temperature here often drops to -25oC in the winter and with a wood burner like mine, you have to drain the water form house water mains for obvious reasons if you are away for more than 24 hours.

This is my wood being delivered by horse and cart

Then this friend of mine comes with this portable cricular saw. He disconnects the propshaft and transfers it to the saw.

This is my wood burner

This is my neighbour cutting the wood fto stock up the family wood store.

Totally irrelevant but here is a picture of my Land Rover in winter too!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »
How far from the sawmill does Istvan have to haul the wood?  You never see horse power used in this country except for recreation.

Does Istvan translate to Stephen?
Stevem

Offline Kezdiman

• New Contributor
    • Wild Transylvania
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 09:53:40 AM »
Hi Steve,

Yes, Istvan does mean Steven, and although Transylvania is now in Romania the people in Ojdula are Szekely Hungarian, thought to be descendents of Attila the Hun.

There are three big sawmils on the periphery of the village, all within 20 minutes ride from his house. The bizarre thing is Istvan burns sawdust, but sells firewood to villagers from his own forest. Here is my friend picking up my firewood from Istvan's place. Note the horses have overun the gate and so they are put into reverse before sweeping across the road and into the yard.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:10:06 AM by Kezdiman »

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
Kezdiman,
Thanks so much for sharing this information.  Its a real pleasure to read and see how others do things in other parts of the world.  I greatly appreciate it! 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »
Kezdiman, Welcome We had a farmer next to us about 35 years ago still used horses to farm but passed away in the late 70's I have'nt seen any horse worked farms since. I liked the simpler times back then. Too much stress now adays. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Kezdiman

• New Contributor
    • Wild Transylvania
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »
Hi and thanks!

Horses play a very important role in everyday Szekely life. The local rural economy would simply collapse without them. They are used for every type of work from ploughing to carrying harvested crops, and firewood.

This guy below is sat on a section of tree stump laid and lashed to some branches. He is spreading manure that was thrown by pitch fork from a horse drawn cart. It's a hard life, but the villager are in general well fed, fit and healthy.

By the way, I document absolutely everything as unfortunately this is all going to disappear. Things are changing fast since Romania joined the EU. Many would call it progress but I'm not so sure. I gave up living in the west to be part of this as material wealth does not always equate to happiness!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 10:47:05 PM »
What a marvelus showing of your cultural farm life.  Thank you so much for showing us your heritage, of today.