alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: New guy from Indiana  (Read 10353 times)

Offline POC

• Contributor
New guy from Indiana
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »
Hello all,
New guy here from southern Indiana.  I'm looking into getting a small bandsaw mill.  I'm really stumped by the number of offerings available.  I am kinda leaning toward a Turner or Hud-son.  What about 'mister sawmill'?  It looks like a good unit, but not sure about how long he's been around.

Anyway,
My great grandfather had a big old circle mill (54" blade?) Had a motor off a half-track.  I'm not sure how many pictures exist of it running, but I'll see what I can find.
My neighbor down the road also has a similar big circle mill, I think he uses a 383 engine and a manual tranny, has to have a clutch lever.  Really quit an amazing contraption!  He's 85 and still runs it nearly daily when he has orders.

Hope to learn lots and maybe teach something,
Patrick

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: New guy from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Mr. Sawmill has been around for many years and makes a great little mill!  Jay can give you some info as he has a friend who is blind that runs one! 

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:41:09 AM »
Welcome to the club!

Mr.Sawmill is a great little manual mill. I was looking at the Linn in a kit form....http://cgi.ebay.com/Linn-Lumber-Sawmill-Kit-Build-your-own-Mill_W0QQitemZ230418387667QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a60192d3

At leats what I might do...if i needed to get sawing again.
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »
hy & welcome
i got a Kasco saw 2 B there built in indiana
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wade

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:03:39 AM »
A lot of it depends on how much money your willing to spend. What I did is got several quotes from the mills I was interested in. Then I narrowed it down to 3 different comparable sizes. Then I started to research there construction, features and the deals they would offer. I looked at the freight, tax if any and then reseach ed more on the one I was most interested in. Then I got on line again and try-ed to read any and all reviews from any one that had any info on theirs. Then I looked at my resource's and how big most of my trees were that I was going to cut. After all that I made my choice. I will tell you most dealers or builders will say there mill is better and use reasons for there claim. If you have all ready researched the particulars, you will be able to sifter out the BS.
I was interested in Mister saw mill but decided the shipping from them would be close to a grand as far away as they are.  I all must bought a Turner mill but did not like to put out 3500 up front before it was built. I don't like those that blow out the saw dust right in front of you as you walk along. I did not wont to ware out my wrist cranking the feed. You wont to buy some thing user friendly and you need to buy one that is basic if you can weld and have a mechanical back ground so you can adapt to save money on your accessories.