alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Looking For Work  (Read 8565 times)

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Looking For Work
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:46:38 AM »

Wife's Son wants to go to the US and work. Economics down here are bad, same as the rest of the world.  ::) ::)

He has asked me what I did all the past years, and how much I have made on the different jobs. He thinks he can go there and make some good money.

Anyone with GOOD ideas, no matter how hard the work is ??? He's a good worker, and does use his head more then most down here.

We could be there up to 6 months, to see how he gets along. He doesn't speak English  ::) ::) Even though I have told him REPEATEDLY, to practice with his 2 Daughters, that are learning in school  ::) ::)

Sawmilling would be good, because he would be training to cut logs down here, as our Plantation is producing some 4-5 " diameter trees, after only 3 years of being in the ground.

I have the Peterson for BIG HARD logs, and need to finish up the Band Mill for the rest of the stuff.

(I REALLY don't want to do this, but, he's a good guy with 4 kids)  ::) ::) ::) :o :o

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Looking For Work
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:14:05 AM »
Going to be tough without being able to communicate.  South FL, Houston, Pheonix are places that come to mind that seem to overcome the language barrier, they all speak spanish.   :(

Get him a small lathe and teach him how to turn pen blanks and sell them.  I had a kid who put himself through 4 years of college turning pens on the weekends at my place and selling them during the week at schools, hospitals, Dr's offices etc.  Now he has a degree and is working 60 hrs a week for some financial company and hates it.  He is actually thinking about making pens and other stuff to sell full time. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »

I would be with him, and MAKE him speak English. He's like his Mother. She can read it and understands as well as anyone, but, will NOT speak it.

Down here, the "Crafty" people see something and run with it. There is NO honor among thieves.

I was offered a wood shop to take over. Problem is, I will NOT be in the US after Nov.1. PERIOD.

Also, trying to team up with a guy to see about clearing ERC in Ok or Kansas. Let the boy see what REAL dirty work is all about, EH ???

I will quiz him on the Pen deal. We DO have some purty wood down here.  ::) ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
"I will NOT be in the US after Nov.1. PERIOD. "

Whats significant about Nov 1? 

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »

Examples like this one.

"Well I plowed my way into the saw mill today to check on things. Took about 3 hours to get back there."

I paid my dues, climbing poles for 12 years, in HOT and COLD, snowy, icy weather.  Had a farm for 10 years. Record snows and bitter cold, tending animals.

Here, it doesn't get below 60°, or above 85°. Breezy, cloudy, relaxing working weather, or NOT.  >:D ::) ;D

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:27:35 PM »
I had a nabior who lived down there for 8 years he loved it

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »

Only problem here is, people have no back bone.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:54:38 PM »
Sounds familiar :(