alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: from plastering to sawing logs  (Read 7530 times)

Offline sawdog

• mountainside sawmill and wood works
  • Contributor
from plastering to sawing logs
« on: March 10, 2010, 05:52:52 PM »
as work slows my company has started subbing jobs out to illegal hispanics. I am still working but it is slow. about three years ago i bout a timber king 1220 and then a wood master 718 planer molder do yall think i could saw for other folks and make a little change on the side or full time.I just wan't to make a living down here in alabama  .     
C. Scott. Gravlee

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: from plastering to sawing logs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »

I would get business cards and put them in every feed store, general store, and anywhere people will see them. Talk to everyone you meet and tell them what you are doing. Won't take long before you need to upgrade to a faster hydraulic mill. Make some moldings, especially of older house patterns that are not available anymore. Charge a higher price per running foot for "Specialty " Moldings.

Nice place you work, shutting down Americans and contracting Illegals. I know where MY next phone call would be.  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline sawdog

• mountainside sawmill and wood works
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:06:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I have some cards out there but not enough of them.I had some signs made to day 18 x 24 .Ill put them out this week end .Do you think this will help . I also have a 34 horse power tractor that helps in moving logs. Can you dry lumber in a green house?
C. Scott. Gravlee

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »

It takes a lot of air movement to dry lumber. Kilns are insulated to hold the heat and humidity, while the air flow moves humid air out of the kiln, in a controlled manner.

Google Solar Kilns to get a good idea of how a simple kiln design works. They are slow but nearly fool proof.

Is your mill portable, so you could hook it on your truck, and drive to the local coffee shop-hang out, and park it out near the road ???  GOOD advertising. Just have plenty of cards on you at all times.

Good luck. Keep us informed.  ;D

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »
Sawdog, Harold has some good ideas there.  JUst remember everyone you meet is a portential customer.  I always have at least25 to 30 cards in my pocket.  Often times, coming home with only 5 or 6.  I do not travel with my mill.  I am often so busy that I can hardly see my way through the task. 

As to the kiln idea; can place some large fans in the greenhouse and get an early start on the drying process.