alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Moral dilemma?  (Read 10918 times)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Moral dilemma?
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:55 PM »
I contract saw for a local hardwood mill cutting oversize and special orders.  Didn't do much this last year but have before.  Good relationship with the owner.  He also buy oak trees from me and allows me to use part of his land for storage.

He gives me leads to single trees and oversize stuff that's to few to make a load.  Those leads haven't paid me anything yet but one keeps hoping.

He just gave me a lead to a monster black walnut and said he'd pay me $2.00 a foot for anything I brought in cut to 4/4.  I have sold to him in the past.  He's about 1 mile from my house. Really handy.  Doesn't want the white wood.  Says he does not have a market for it.  People just doesn't want white black walnut.  I can understand that but that's a loss to me of cut boards of 10 to 20%.   

Went and looked at the tree and wow.  About 50" on the stump and the butt cut will go 10 to 12 feet.  About 750 bdf + in the but cut.  Tree goes another 14 to 16 feet in major branches out to 10" or 12".  As a swag (semi wild ass guess) I'd say there's 2000 bdf total.

Owner is going to dig out the stump with a backhoe.  I don't think it's a burl but would have to see after it's dug up (they put a flower bed around the tree).  But was looking for a home for it if it was.  Frank gave me a lead so I called.  Goby Walnut about 100 miles north.  Thank you Frank and Art say high.  http://www.gobywalnut.com/ 

Says it's probably not burl wood so no real market for it (we'll see about that) but he offered me $2.50 per bdf mill run and $4.50 for 3" slabs over 40" wide in the waist. That's $450 for a 10 footer and absolutely no waste but lots of sweat moving the slabs.  I should be able to get at least 3 spec slabs and maybe 4 from the butt.  It will cost at least 2 days and $200 in gas to deliver. Even got a tentative offer of some contract sawing.  He don't have a slabber.

So do I take $2/bdf and be loyal to my lead source and keep my customer or go with the other offer and chance loosing him?  Split the difference (slabs north and boards local)? Lie and say I didn't get the tree and then go north with all the wood? Something else?

With a higher price for the wood do I increase my offer to the owner?

What would you do?   

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: Moral dilemma?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:22:26 AM »
Lie???    :D   Thats funny  :D  That is a joke right.  :D  OK, you know my position on that question.  ;)

Sounds like your source is looking for 4/4 and since he didnt ask for anything else I would take him some 4/4 to keep him happy and the rest would go north!

OR, you could tell him excatly what you shared with us and tell him you will honor the $2.00 for 4/4 but want to know if he would be willing to let you take it all north and split with him part of the profit from the thicker stuff?

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:06:35 AM »
WHAT EVER YOU DO dont lie to any of them
i think i wood try to split the load betwene both
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
Thats easy. Everything that cuts 40" wide gos north all the rest cuts 4/4 gos to the other guy ;D win win If he asks about the rest of the lumber just tell him it made 12/4 and he did not ask for that ;)

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »
I just brought up the lying thing to emphasize the moral problem.  Wouldn't do that.  Like sleeping easy too much.

Think I'm going to go talk with the guy tomorrow and get a better feel for his feelings.  I'll watch his eyes real close and try and read them.

Need to talk to the guy up north too and see if he'd take an abnormal amount of white wood.  That would make things real easy if he would.

thanks all,  Carl I really like your suggestion. 
Stevem

Offline adk patroller

• Contributor
    • Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:40:18 PM »
Option #3
Buy a lathe and turns some monster Bowls!!!! ;D ;) I wish I were closer! :'(
+

Hostetter's Wood 4-$ale

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
I might well take the stump, Steve.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:48:32 PM »
I don't guess there's a problem.  No call back from the owner.
Stevem

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
Stevem, What ever came of the black walnut?

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure it went north.  I found a market for the 40" wide slabs that paid $4/bdf and I think they ran around me.  Never got any word back and know the guy wanted it gone soon.  Oh well
Stevem