alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Vacation just around the corner  (Read 12528 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Vacation just around the corner
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »
As the summer days are starting to bare-down on the family, it's time to go north!(Hate heat index days.....)
Folks are already excited about the coming trip, the kid is excited about the coming trip, but I'm dreading the drive...1585 miles door-to-door(eeeck!).  Planning on a day in the White Mountains region of New Hampshire, a day along the coast at Old Orchard Beach in Maine, supposed to go to Millinocket and eat with the Pelletiers Resturant(wife's idea? she must want something), and deep sea fishing.  The rest of the time, I'll be helping my dad get some firewood cut up and stored for drying...and maybe fix that garage door header finally.

Guess after all of that running around, I'll need another vacation to recovery from a vacation?

Scott (two more weeks) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
Re: Vacation just around the corner
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
will the firewood be safe from the pen blank stock?  You might want to take a trailer with you
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 06:15:53 AM »
will the firewood be safe from the pen blank stock?  You might want to take a trailer with you

You might have an excellent idea?  My dad has just five acres with 3 being field/house, garage, and garden...so that only leaves two acres of ground to search up some winter blowdown logs!  Hopefully, old winterblow down with some mushrooms growing on the sides....
But the neighbors are generally a lazy bunch(from what I remember growing up there), and I could always find something on their property?  Ah, now I'm going to dream about spalted maple crotch, or beech crotch, or.............

Actually the garage door header needs to be replaced.  I think he said water damage has occured over the last few years due to the siding.....or something?  Regardless, it'll need to be fixed.

If I was to slab out a 5-1/4" x 11-1/2" x 18' 6" piece of red oak...how much shrinkage would occur during the years from drying?  Only going to be there about a week...so kilns, or whatever won't be an option!  And he'll need the help putting it into place.

Any thoughts?

Scott (save him some cash and get something to last) B

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »
A couple of years back I grabbed a piece of big leaf maple from grandmas firewood stack as an experiment to see what I could see.  Somewhere around here I've got a 2" x 2" x 16" piece of figured big leaf that I cut down with my table saw.  Kiln dried ( microwave oven style) and coated with linseed oil.  I'd get more now with my 16" band saw but it was just an experiment.  There might be some sweet cherry in that pile now that was cut down because of heart rot.  I'll check next time I'm over there. 

On the shrinkage, about 1/2" one way and 1/4" the other.  Length won't change very much at all
Try this link for your wood shrinkage.  MC over 25% is fresh cut with no shrinkage.  And note that shrinkage is different depending on whether it's flat sawn or quarter sawn.  Interesting thing is a 2 x 2 rift sawn, i.e grain runs at 45 degrees, dries as a parallelogram (a squished square).  There ain't a square side on it.
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=shrinkage
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »
Thanks for that link, not only will it help me now...but I'll be able to figure out things later on to!  Adding it to my Favorite's Bar now!!!!

Scott (thank you) B

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »
Five days....then the drive.  Hate the drive, only because it puts me in New York City.  Could be worse, but I don't know how.

Getting a little excited, been awhile since I seen the folks!!

Scott (1547 miles....eck!) B

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:56:36 PM »
What route you taking? 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:15:46 PM »
We do I40, I81, I78, I95....then the little roads to the folks house.

Four days....WOOHOO!!

Scott (not excited at all...yeah, right) B

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
Im off of I-70 about 10 miles so wasnt sure if came near here.  If you do give me a shout and maybe we can meet for coffee............or you can tail some boards  ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 05:27:22 AM »
Wife goes to work this afternoon(I'll be doing a nap-thing), and when she gets home....poof!

My mom told me that my dad has been looking for logs for me to slab....  Not sure how spalting works in the Northeast(I know it happens, just not as quick as here in the Southeast) with the cooler temps and all?  Hoping to kind some Beech, Northern Red Maple that's spalted some(can always bury it when I get home in the compost bin)!!!!

Scott (I might check in on ya'll....errr, ummm...youes guys) B

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »

Go easy on that back. Have fun.  ;D ;D