alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Anyone got ...........  (Read 10945 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Anyone got ...........
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:26:11 AM »
Was wondering if anyone here has built a slab bench with timber(logs) for the legs?

Got a request from the MIL for a bench to go in her backyard.  She's wanting Maple(guess to go with all the Maples growing in the yard)!  No trouble getting a Maple slab....plenty of them around.  Guess she heard me think about making some...or maybe the wife told her!(Most likely)
What I was needing to know, is what angle should the legs be put into the underside of the slab?  How thick should the slab be?  And what to finish the slab with to protect it from rain, sun, heat, and bugs to make it last for a LONG time?(Did some looking around the 'net, but not too much info on finishing)

Anyone got a tool list too?  Tenon jig plans?

Scott (completely blind here) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Anyone got ...........
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:46:28 AM »

By slab, are you talking about a log slab, or a flat board type slab ??  How thick a wood ??

I watched a guy in a craft show, one time, that used a hole saw and an expandable wood auger bit, to make the mortise and tenon cuts.

For "Rustic", log slab types, use limbs and cut the tenon using a deep hole saw. Center it by eye and cut to the depth of the hole saw. Then, carefully take away the outer parts leaving a very slight tapered shoulder. Bore the Mortises about 90° to the curvature of the log slab. Make them just a few ° splayed out from exactly vertical at the ends of the slab, and that makes a nice Rustic Bench.

If you are using "Flat Stock, cut the legs out and turn the Tenons on a Lathe or use the hole saw idea. Bore the Mortises with that same Wood Auger Bit, being careful to not go through to the finish side of the flat slab. Once the holes are bored, you have to line up the legs for the "Nice angles" and mark the end cuts so they drive in and seat properly in the bottom of the holes. For square legs, be SURE to make them so the legs are all lined up the same, so they don't look hap hazardly driven in.

These are not difficult to build, either design you choose.

Finish might be a problem, so, something similar to Deck waterproofing might be OK ??  If you can seal the wood effectively, every spring, just sand down and put on another top coat of sealer ??

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
Was thinking log slabs, and tree branches for the legs.  Will remove the bark with the new drawknife, and rough smooth with hand plane...belt sand to about 400grit.  Was thinking of doing a exopy finish coat on the top(maybe)?

Thanks for the tip on the hole saw!  Guess I can make a 'jig' to make sure the holes go in at the same angle....
I'll look up the expanding auger bit...thanks again!

Scott (always have projects in mind) B

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:09:08 AM »
You could use a blind wedge in the leg tenon to tighten it as you drove it in.

Baileys has a system that uses a router to make the tenon,.  Video here

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=16500&catID=230 on how it works.

I think I'd too use a clear deck stain.  If you get a break in the epoxy, water will enter and never get out.  Legs would be the most vulnerable to rot, Cedar,  White Oak, Osage? Something rot resistance
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:34:59 AM »
Ordered some stuff to get this project going this morning.  Never thought a tenon marker would be that much?  Ouch!!!  The holesaw bit wasn't that bad, could almost live with myself on that one.  Went with the 1-1/2" tenon, thinking that should be plenty for a bench.

While I was at it, ordered a jig for honing a plane/chisel blade....figured I was already doing the shipping, what the hay....

Scott (on the way) B

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »
I would stongly suggest Rodda Log Home finish, if your bench is going to be outdoors.

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
So what/where did you order?
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »
So what/where did you order?

Amazon had everything.
Got the 1-1/2" tenon, a 1-1/2" holesaw that'll adapt to my drill

Scott (saved a few bucks too) B