alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Yurt's  (Read 16002 times)

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
  • The bravest of all is he who conquers himself.
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
Yurt's
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »
Delivered four yurts in April, built them during the rain and snow. Not having a huge shop to work in was a challenge in itself. I have three more orders delivered in August. One customer is driving down from Portland this Sunday to pick up another. After experimenting for the past 10 years (on and off) with design details I have worked out all the bugs and finally have something I am happy with. All the wood components except the hub the door and it's frame I mill and use with no sanding or planing. The door is all cedar and is air dried, planed and I use Watco oil for the finish. This past year I have gotten better at sewing all the canvas, takes me 16 hours to size, cut, fit and sew the top and sides after all the wood structure is complete. I use 16oz recycled vinyl billboard with nylon webbing and d-rings on all perimeters. The industrial sewing machine was $1,000.00 and took a while for me to learn how to use it. My seems are now starting to look like they should, most of them are all 50 to 60 foot long.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Re: Yurt's
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:05 PM »
This is really cool!

I must at this point admit my ignorance....what do you use it for?

What I enjoyed the most about this was how everything is made by you.  That shows some super skills!!!  Way to go!

Scott (take me forever to think up this) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:46:31 AM »
Those are fantastic, TB.  If you can, would you let me know who in Portland purchased your Yurts?  I would like to see them up close.  I am just 75 miles South of Portland.  Do you use Douglas Fir for the framing materials?

By the way, what is the snow load capacity?

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
Most all yurt's I sell are used for permanent homes and will get a wood burning stove. When they are heated the snow melts instead of building up. The roof pitch I have is a little steeper than other yurt makers and the snow slufs off after about six inches or a foot. Dont know any exact load information but I regularly get about three feet of snow here at my place and have had no problems with this design.

I will need to follow up with contact information about the Portland yurt location, not sure what it is.

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »
Wow and I though my house was small :o

Offline Tree Bones

• Contributor
    • Ron Trout Sawmill
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »

Here is a short video of one of my yurts after five feet of snow.