alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Forestry, Logging and Building > Timber Harvest Equipment

What have you used to harvest logs from the forest?

(1/5) > >>

Kirk Allen:
For me it started out using my grandfathers Kabota tracktor and a set of skidding tongs.  When my brother purchased the tractor I then had to turn to my 93 Suburan  :o 

I put a 9000lb winch on it, skidded the logs out of the woods with that, then drug them with the truck to a place they could be loaded on a trailer.  Sounds crazy but I did that for several years and moved a lot of logs.  If they were to far in the woods for the cable then I would use the 200' of wire rope I made to assist in getting to them.  Most of the logs I had access to were always within 300 feet of the edge of the woods.

Now I just have the folks with track hoes or tractors load them for me ;D  Dont know why I didnt have them do that a long time ago.  :D

Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner":
Well, on of my first thinning jobs I used a couple 250 pound high school football players that needed to stay in shape.  The logs were only 16' 10" and they would put opne under each arm and skid them to the edge of the forest and an open field.  I had they doing that for about three weekends and they I got my 1954 Fergusion tractor and use chain hoods welded to a three point blade and did my yarding.

The first load of logs number 180 pieces on a short self-loader.

Kirk Allen:
Must have been Western Red Cedar.  Dont think they would do that with some of the hardwoods we have around here. 

Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner":
No, it was Douglas Fir.  They ranged with tops at 5 to 8 inches.

mike p:
i used an 8N ford usely with front wheels off the ground had cly heads hanging off of the front axle for ballast & my pu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version