alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Peavey or cant hook.....where?  (Read 12911 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Peavey or cant hook.....where?
« on: January 20, 2011, 06:30:33 AM »
Been trying to buy local, you know...support the small business guy, but I've run into the typical "We don't stock them", "Your the first person to ask for one of those in five years", or even "Shipping them here will kill you".

So where do you(you that use them) get your peaveys or even cant hook tools from?  Guess I could scrounge around the 'net all day and find a dealer.  But the few I've looked at don't seem to have any feedback(I'm a big feedback kind of person to see what kind of service I'll be ending up with)!

Scott (you want what...t'was my favorite) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline ChuckinVa

• Authentic Appalachian American
  • New Contributor
Re: Peavey or cant hook.....where?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »
I bought one of each from Northern Tool . I used them last week end and they worked well. Based on reviews from the site I took a large file and sharpened the points on the hooks so they would grab better. If I had a grinder I would have used that. I bought the wood handle versions.
CHUCK
Hud-Son Oscar 18 Mill
Stihl MS311 saw

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
Life time warranty and you wont get a better tool or service!  Ask for Tammy or Kevin and tell them the forum sent you!

http://www.logrite.com/

I wont do business with Northern tool anymore as they have done nothing but knock off other peoples ideas and farmed it out to China to make and they are not near as good as the real deal.  If you take the Norther Tool look-a-like cant hook and compare it to the Log Rite cant hook you will know right off the bat the real deal is made right here in the US!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:01:54 PM »
Or, me.  I am a distrubutor and I can have one sent direct from the factory in Conn., with no problem. ;D

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »
I've got the maga cant hook and I'll tell ya when you get into the big logs you'll need it.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »
i got mine through frank & could not live with out it i think its 5' long
its so strong my boy & i both were pulling on it once to turn a log & it heald up great & let me tell you with 2 of us pulling that was some load it took
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
Frank sorry for the vedge!  I forgott you are the go-to man for Logrite!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
I have a Logrite cant hook that's a fine tool, so afrade it will grow legs I don't use it much, I have an original Eddington Maine  peavey with a loueiville slugger bat for a handle that I use all the time. Frank C.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 12:26:33 AM »
I bent the handle on one of the log-rite Pee-Vee's today :(
Was rolling an over sized Madrone log to the mill and placed the pee-vee between the log and the mill while using the clamp and a chain while assisting the other end in with the second pee-vee. Well the log was heavy and the handle bent.
Got a lot a good hard use out of these two but looks like it is time to order another one or two.

Found another use for a pee-vee.
Was milling the Madrone logs into 4" slabs 10' long as wide as the mill will cut.
Then off loading the heavy slabs by hand.   :P :-\ ::)
Needed a good roller and the handle of the pee-vee worked real good, just use the hook as a crank and crank the slab right off the log onto the stack at the back of the mill.
Down side is the hook can get you real good if it gets away from you.