alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Goal...by the end of the year  (Read 12812 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
Goal...by the end of the year
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:25:18 AM »
Seems simple enough....

I'll cut and sell anything I can get my hands on to save enough to buy a small manual mill by the end of this year.  Already started getting swamped by brouchures from TimberKing and WoodMiser....WOW!  all that shiney paint!  I really like running my chainsaw mill, and it'll always have a spot in the truck when going to 'look' at a log.  But I think I'm loosing a LOT of pretty wood due to the kerf of the chain....it may not be much wood, but it can add up over time.

So far I'm looking at the LT15 or the 1220, both have their selling points.  Not looking to get a 'mobile mill' now, but I could always get a double axle trialer to mount the mill on if I really wanted to.  Not seeing a lot of information on the weight of the mill, especially the working 'head'...but that is nothing more then a phone call(probably a high pressure phone call....buy, buy, buy, buy)?

Is there another mill that would be about the same size, same price range that I'm forgetting?  Only thinking about bandsaw mills....

Might as well throw in a photo to keep everyone interested:

Black Walnut.....call this slab "The Skeleton"(see the backbone towards the top)

Scott
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Goal...by the end of the year
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »

Too bad you don't live closer to Fl. I could fix you right up with a towable Hydraulic mill, for just a little more than a Manual.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:50:51 AM »
I'm not afraid to drive, that's for sure.  My job has me driving 220-240 miles a day, 5 days a week....which is actually pretty easy compared to when I was driving the big rigs over-the-road for a living.

Was thinking the manual and the lack of mechanical moving items would probably fit my needs just fine.  I wouldn't hardly be pushing a mill to make huge amounts of dimensional lumber, most of my cutting ends up being bowl blanks or much smaller.  And if(big if) I needed to make some lumber to build a kiln or small workshop, I certainly wouldn't need to do it in 5 hours....I tend to work at a 'reduced' pace and try to enjoy what I'm doing.

What do you have in mind Harold?

Scott (always looking for a deal) B

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:20:03 AM »
 Sawing stuff like that Walnut and Pecan you work with, would be much easier off the ground. Mill we built has hydraulic log lifter and all other accessories.

A few guys on here have seen the mill working. We can saw 36" WIDE boards. What could you get for table tops that size, in Arkyville ??

Yes, it's probably more than you need, but, you hook on to your trailer ball, plug in the lights, and head for home. Just think what it will do to that Spalty stuff you cut up.

Don't know up to the minute prices for TK or WM, but, it should be around $6500.00 or so. Sales Tax will
bump you up a notch.

Got a half a pickup bed of blades to go with it, too. Figure $20.00 per blade, new. That's a chunk of change right there.

We are trying to get $9000.00.   Want to discuss it, PM me.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:06:21 AM »
Sawing stuff like that Walnut and Pecan you work with, would be much easier off the ground. Mill we built has hydraulic log lifter and all other accessories.

Trust me, I get the logs up some.  Not going to do any crawling on the ground unless I've had a 5th of the good stuff.

A few guys on here have seen the mill working. We can saw 36" WIDE boards. What could you get for table tops that size, in Arkyville ??

The slabs I've cut are normally whacked into smaller chunks.  I've never even had an offer that wasn't a joke.  The photo above....$20.00(really think the fella was serious).  When I told him I'd rather set it on fire then let it go for $20, thought he was going to blow a gasket!

Yes, it's probably more than you need, but, you hook on to your trailer ball, plug in the lights, and head for home. Just think what it will do to that Spalty stuff you cut up.

Don't know up to the minute prices for TK or WM, but, it should be around $6500.00 or so. Sales Tax will bump you up a notch.

Actually you are really close.  The price would be just about that with tax.

Got a half a pickup bed of blades to go with it, too. Figure $20.00 per blade, new. That's a chunk of change right there.

We are trying to get $9000.00.   Want to discuss it, PM me.

The $$$$ is probably a great deal, but I don't think I'd be able to swing that kind of money this year.  It's going to be pretty hard to get the funds together as it is.....that's a LOT of pen/bowl/bottle stopper blanks!

Scott (probably need a bigger truck to pull it too) B

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:23:58 AM »

We pulled it with a full size GMC Blazer. Some guys pull them with Toyota pickups, and such.

How big is your truck ??

A bunch of chunks of Walnut or something else, not available in Fl., would fill up some of that cost bucket.

Just think of all the Custom Sawing jobs you could do.  Why, that mill would pay for itself right quick like.

Ever hear that one, before ???  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:09:29 AM »
You might check this out.  I've been to his shop.  All mills are basically hand made but use off the shelf parts.:

http://linnlumber.com/

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:26:58 AM »
Harold,

Wife drives the nicer of our two rides.  2007 Chevy Colorado Z71.  Mine?  1995 Jeep YJ running 36" tires and a total of 12" of lift....not the best vehicle to pull anything with!  And with current gas prices, mine sits.....a LOT(8.4mpg on a good day).

Got a huge pile stacked in the backyard....21 3.25" slabs that are all 5 to 6 foot in lenght and anywhere from 22 to 32 inches across.  Cut up one the other day, mostly game call blanks...shipping some out today!  It would great to get slab sales, but shipping them....ECK!

Steve,

Thanks for the link.  I'll give it a 'look at'!!!

Scott (having fun, makin' some cha-ching) B

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »
Even with the main bath remodel(don't ask....wasn't my plan), I'm still on track for the BSM by mid-August.

Scott (as long as the carpet holds out) B