alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: DEhumidifier in small kilns  (Read 23825 times)

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
DEhumidifier in small kilns
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:14 AM »
Was wondering.....

Need to build a small kiln to expedite the drying of the blanks I make.
Thinking something in the 8foot x 4foot x 4foot size(about the size of normal plywood) for quick construction.  Would need to be on casters(move in-n-out of garage), so that size would be light enough to move easily(as well as fit into the garage).

Figure 3/4 of the inside can be shelves for blanks, and then the remaining 1/4 area inside could hold a de-humidifier?  Couple of questions:

#1:  Anyone have any thoughts on the dehumidifier inside the cabinet(good idea/bad idea)?
#2:  Would it remove moisture from the wood(not just the air)?
#3:  Is there a 'brand' of dehumidifier that is made for this application?
#4:  Anyone here doing this already?  Got a schematic/plans for the build?  Parts list for yours?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott (I need a nap after all that) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
Re: DEhumidifier in small kilns
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »
Use 2" pink insulation, 2-150 watt light bulbs for heat, small table fan on low, standard dehumidifyer and it will do all you need it to do!

There use to be a set of plans in a woodworking magazine I had but I dont recall the name of it. 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »
FWIW

Daren from here:  http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f26/another-same-yard-how-saw-25249/ has such plans on his web site.  http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/

And I've seen a home made "kiln" in a small broom closet with a cheap store bought dehumidifier used to dry arrow shafts on slatted shelves.  Worked good and in about 7 days with that small diameter of the wood.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:04:19 PM »

I built a Solar Kiln. We get LOTS of rain, and, I just put a used House Dehumidifier inside the door. It would fill a gallon jug in about 8 hours. The kiln has never been full, and is only mostly insulated.

You will never need to run a dehumidifier at full tilt, until you get wood down to under 12% MC.

I have that magazine article, Kirk. Maybe I will remember to look it up, later today.  ::) ::) ;D

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:10:23 AM »
Anyone got any ideas on #3?

I'd rather buy a good one, then buy three or four okay one's that will burn up while being used!

Scott (better money spent) B

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »
I have an Ebac 800 for sale.  The measurements are 12" thick by two foot square.   I believe it needs some freon work.

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:23:48 PM »

Yup. Craigslist. I paid $35.00 for mine, used. If it lasts typically 1 year, ???????????????

If you place it so just the face of the unit is inside the kiln, it will last longer, maybe. What kills them is the acid from the fumes from the wood vapors.

Have you thought about a Vacuum Kiln ??  No heat involved. I had a large propane Tank all set to convert to Vacuum. Bought the entire Vacuum pumps, motors, tanks, oil tank, the works.

Then my Bride didn't wake up, so, I lost interest in everything, and finally, moved down here.

Look around for an old Ball shaped tank. They are nearly ¼" thick steel. I would love to help you design a working vacuum kiln.

Basically, get it built, set it outside in the sun, and "sweat" the water out. At night, it will relax and help condition the wood.  Those old Tanks used to sit all over Arkansas.

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
I have an Ebac 800 for sale.  The measurements are 12" thick by two foot square.   I believe it needs some freon work.
so somehow i mised this , was it add her?
what 's the price on the the eback ?
what kind of freon work ?
what kind of freeon does it use?
what you trade for?
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »

Look up this magazine for the article

American Woodworker #94, June 2002

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »
Mike P.  I have enough "stuff" already, so a trade out of the picture, rightnow.  Make me a fair offer and pay the freight and it is yours.  I also have an Ebac  3000 that is still in the shipping box, that is for sale.  That one is $3,000. 

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
what kind of freeon does it use?
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
Mike, I believe the new kind.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
Look up this magazine for the article

American Woodworker #94, June 2002

Been trying to locate one of those issues ever since you posted the info.  The article costs almost as much as the plans on eBay.....too bad I'm cheap!

From what I could see for free on the internet, it looks like exactly what I'm wanting!!

Scott (where's that build list) B

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »

It's a really simple thing to build.Figure out the box size, and see if you can copy the mag pages from the Internet.

I could try to take photos of my magazine, and send them to you. What would be the best way to save the info, so you could enlarge it ???

I'm a computer dummy.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
Harold,

I could get every page of the article to load so I could read it, except the build material list....you know, the important part.

I'm still looking, seems there is probably 9,000 hits for that exact phrase "American Woodworker #94".....I'll find one soon or later that will give up the info!

Scott (it's like fishin', gotta throw a few back) B

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 10:05:50 AM »
I posted this link some time back but I'll do it again.  From Oregon State U.

http://owic.oregonstate.edu/pubs/dhkilns.pdf
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline TnAndy

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »
Older thread, but somebody might find this useful.  I built a small kiln in my shop (8x14 w/7' ceiling) that will hold 1,000 bdft easy.  I use an old window AC unit for my heat source and dehumidifier.  Simply sits on a shelf inside and drips in a bucket.

The room is very well insulated, and I used OSB to finish the inside, with a couple coats of mobile home roof coating (aluminum based) as a vapor barrier.  I air dry my wood on sticks down to 20% or so, then put my cabinet/millwork/furniture stuff in the kiln and take it on down to 6-8%.

When I first start up the kiln, I have to run a small (1500w) electric heater to get the room up to enough temp (about 70) to get the AC to kick in, but from them on, the scrap heat off the AC unit will raise the room temp to 125-130 range.

Once you hit about 100-110, the moisture starts coming off the wood, and hitting the cold coil of the AC (yeah, it's cold, but unless you put your hand on it, you'd never know it ! ), condenses and drips in the bucket.  I can get a 5 gallon bucket per 24hrs off a full load of 20% wood at first ...hard to believe there is THAT much water still in there !
One note....you DO want an OLD dog of an AC unit with R-12 in it.  If it has R-22, I found about 105 degrees, the head pressure of R-22 is so much it locks the compressor up, and kicks the motor overload out.  It will cool down and start again, only to repeat over and over....R-22 would not work for me.  And I know nothing about the newer freons.  Get yourself a chart out of an AC repair book, and see how the pressure compares to R-12 at about 130 degrees, and you'll know what works.