alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Sharpener and Setter reccomendations  (Read 26641 times)

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
Sharpener and Setter reccomendations
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
Hello from E. Texas!
To start, I'm a newbie to this forum but it looks like a great place to get practical advice!  My husband bought a TK 1600 mill a little over a year ago and business is picking up.  Husband also refuses to enter the computer age, so I will plead y'all's patience with a wife who searches for information on the 'net.  I'm picking up info with time and experience.  My life's philosophy:  Ya don't know if ya don't ask.

Our situation and question:
We've been buying new blades and sending them to TK for resharpening.  This is getting rediculously expensive and we are looking to purchase a sharpener and a setter.  Also, the blades we've been sending in to be resharpened aren't always sharp.  One batch of a dozen blades, hubby went through first 4 in one log as they didn't seem to have been sharpened at all!  Any recommendations on quality equipment would be greatly appreciated.  We are also looking for the least expensive route since business is only now picking up.  I've looked at TK's sharpener and setter, talked with our salesman...but they have a 2 mth waiting period as they've only just now started manufacturing their own.  Looked at Cook's, Bailey's and Wood Mizer's. (was recommended in a post I read in this forum) 

Also, would it be recommended to buy sharpener first then in the near future...as finances allow...buy the setter?  I read the post on whether to sharpen or set first.  Saw recommendation of sharpening 2-3 times then setting.  How many times, on avg, might a person sharpen before setting is really needed?  (of course, depending on the blade)

One more question and I'll hush...what brand of blades would y'all recommend?  TK blades just went up and we're looking for good quality for just a wee bit less $$$! 

I look forward to hearing what y'all have to say and I sure thank you all for your help! 
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
Re: Sharpener and Setter reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »

Howdy
 The type of logs you saw will determine the amount of setting necessary. Dirty logs, drug through mud and sand, will dull the blades quickly and round the corners of the teeth. This will require setting more often. Amount of time the blade is in the wood, will determine whether to set more often.

Many folks saw until the blade starts to wander. That blade will require sharpening more and setting more often. Change blades while they are still cutting well, then, just lightly sharpen and don't set for 2-3 sharpens, MAYBE. Learning the machine and the different wood will become second nature and help immensely with your questions.

We have run blades until the gullets and teeth start making a fast ticking sound, as the gullets and teeth pass over the blade guide rollers. We sawed mostly sandy logs, recovered from the river beds.  Still had great blade life.

Maybe experiment with different blades. SOME Blade sellers will offer 1 free sample, to see if it works better for you than what you are using. We ended up with Munksforsager blades.

Check Ebay and sawmill-exchange.com for used tools. That's where I got my sharpener (WoodMizer) and made my own setter.  Contact ALL Portable Band mill manufacturers and see how many mills are within a 50 mile radius of you. You MIGHT pick up some sharpening customers, and will do a much better job with a GOOD machine.  Just a thought. More than 1 way to make money in the milling business.  ;D  I have seen WoodMizer sharpener-setter combo, sell for less than $500.00. It can also be carried onsite and run from your vehicle battery, in a situation where you run out of sharp blades. Older models were 12V and run with a small power supply to the motors.

Others will chime in soon with differing comments. It's what you get comfortable doing, that will work well for you. 

Good Luck on your new business.  8) 8) 8)

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
Thanks for the great info, Harold!  Didn't take us long after buying mill to figure out that dirty logs make for dull blades.  Willie (hubby) now "hires" the kids to debark logs and then he sprays them off.  (we home school our kids and 5 of the 7 are still at home = free labor! :angel:

Forgive this 'ignorant' question:  is the gullet the 'valley' between the teeth? 

Never thought of ebay for used equipment.  At present we have approx. $1000 to spend.  I think Willie has just about decided that a sharpener is the more important of the two pieces of equipment so I'm researching hard today to find one. 

As for sharpening for others, I've already thought about that.  What I'm finding through talking around is that most people around here have their own sharpeners.  But every time I bring up the subject of sharpening blades I have people asking if we will be sharpening other types of blades: circular, chain saws, etc.  Somehow, I got voted as the "Sharpener-in-training".  A very helpful gentlemen who has a mill not too awfully far from us has offered to teach me and give me the benefits of his 30+ yrs experience.  I'm thinking as we go along that I might expand from sharpening only bandsaw blades to other types, as well. 

It's been absolutely great the things I've learned just cruising around this forum!  After about an hr I walked out to the mill and shared with Willie the things I learned about sharpening, blades, equipment, etc.  You all have been fantastically helpful and I hope to stick around for awhile!   ;D  I love that my husband finally jumped out there to make his dream of owning a sawmill a reality.  He's worked in the logging woods for 40+ yrs driving a skidder.  He wanted to work for himself and have something to pass along to our children.  We love having him home and being able to help him.  This forum helps me to be a better help to him.  Again...thanks!
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:03:34 PM »

Yes, the Gullet is the valley between 2 teeth. It is VERY important to keep the very tiny crack ground out of that gullet. That's the biggest reason blades break, before they are worn down.

If you go to http://www.sawmill-exchange.com and find your way to the selling section, click on Auxiliary Equipment, and scroll down to sharpeners, you will find a Cook's Sharpener for $800.00, in Georgia.

You will see other for $1200.00-$1500.00 in that same section.  You have to contact the site owners to get access to the seller. It IS a very reliable site. Highly recommend them.

There are very inexpensive setters, and, it is kind of simple to build one. Most important part is the Dial indicator gauge.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
Isn't there a 'local' in your area that can get your blades sharp/set?

You might want to look for someone locally, until you get your own set-up......

Scott (great topic) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:18:32 PM »
And welcome to our little world sawmill squaw.  I do wheel saws but glad to have a new "face" among all these old crusty ones. 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
Thank ye, Thank ye for the warm welcomes!

I am happy to report that after spending all day yesterday on the computer here and at various other sites, I was finally able to locate our local Wood Mizer dealer and he was only about 40 mi away.  I called him about 5 min's before he closed to ask if he had any sharpeners.  Willie and I figured, after me "shopping" all day, that we'd only be able to afford a sharpener.  (we've operated under the 'financial philosophy' of "if we ain't got the money to buy it...we don't buy it". translation: no credit) It "just so happened" that this man, Mr. Durham of Rocking D Sawmill, had a used Wood Mizer sharpener AND setter for $800!  I did my "Thank you, Jesus, Happy Dance" as soon as I got off the phone, ran as fast as I could to the sawmill to tell Willie.  He was pleased, to say the least.  I went this morning to pick up our new equipment.  Here, I have to thank you all for your discussions because I could at least sound knowledgeable while looking at the two pieces.  I learned so much yesterday just cruising around this site!  As soon as Mr. Durham turned on the sharpener I could see all the info I got here falling into place.  I knew what the cam was doing...what the gullet was...etc, etc.  I rushed home with my prizes, unloaded them and Willie and I inspected them a bit...before I had to fly off to work!  (only 10 min's late  ::) )

At the moment, in another tab I'm searching Wood Mizer's site for owner's manuals and/or training DVD on sharpener and setter.  Tomorrow...we see how bad I can mess up an old blade!!!   :angel:  lol 

Harold, thank you soooo very much for your info on the sawmill exchange.  Gonna check that out real soon! 

SBD...we have found no one in our area to resharp blades.  Been sending them to TK: paying $11 for questionable work.  I've been talking around and found that most mills around here sharpen their own blades but just today at work I've found out about a couple mills that send out to resharp.  I sent word to them that when I get good at this (and I mean GOOD!) I will be open for business! 

Sir Stevem...thank you kindly for your warm welcome!  I find that "old crusty faces" usually are the best and most intelligent! 

Again...thank you all for all your help!  I'll be lurking around gleaning what knowledge I can from y'all and I'm real good at asking questions!   ;) 

Blessings to you all for your kindness!!!!!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »
Sawmill Squaw, your well come, just please remember,  no warranties with all our "good" opinions.  What works for one doesn't for the next.

And watch our for Frank and Kirk, they have more opinions than most.   ;) ;)   
Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »

ALRIGHT, you have done very good, SS.  That's a good price. Did you happen to get a new stone or 3 ??

You will need to keep the stone dressed, so it hits the entire tooth and gullet, without digging in the corners.

There MUST be a video on Youtube, on how to set up and run that sharpener. I had a guy show me, and, it is pretty simple, once you get the hang of it.

I reshaped the cam a little, so I didn't get the sharp corner in the Gullet. WoodMizer calls that Flat gulley or something.  I like the round gullet, so dust flows around and out.  Maybe it's just me.  ::) ::)

Anyway, go slow, and make small adjustments. See if it has a magnet so the machine stops when it makes the full round.

You need to turn the blade inside out to set it, completely.

Any questions, just post 'em up .  ;D ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »
Welcome to the site SS!  Glad to have some Texans among us!  Just went through your neck of the woods last week!  I was in Leesville, LA just east of you. 

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 08:02:14 AM »
Hey Kirk!  You were about 50 mi from me...more or less!  We are almost smack dab between Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn Lakes, right at the border.  The store where I work is on Toledo.  Thanks, too, for your warm welcome.  This site is becoming more important to me than Facebook!   ;D  At least I learn stuff I can actually use here...and hubby don't fuss about this site.  Profits him, too! 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
After seeing our president, google, and facebook ban together and cooridinate the uprising in Egypt I have no use for anyone of them! 

President lies, Google Spys, and Facebook just gets under my skin. 

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 08:28:46 AM »
LOL Kirk.  I have a bunch of Conservative, Christian friends.  Well...there was that one lady who for some reason sent me a friend request and got on the wrong side of a "discussion" I was having with some good friends concerning our present administration.  She trashed a couple of my friends and after I very politely but firmly told her that she had her head firmly hidden in her posterior regions for a) her political views and b) thinking she could trash my friends....she conveniently saved me the trouble of deleting her and deleted me as her friend.  *sniff, sniff*  I was heartbroken.   :'(  NOT!  Plus, I mostly post Daily Devotion or patriotic stuff on my page, comment on friends' political "reporting".  I'm spending more time in here now.   ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
This should scare the hell out of everyone! 

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
Memo to Kirk: I have dial up internet.  Let me see: video is 9 min's?  That ought to take me about 12 hrs to download. (no joke)  Will access this next time I go to my mom's or daughter's.  Might even share...on FB!   :P  But thanks for the info., Kirk!   ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
This one is worth the wake up call!  It exposes from the inside how we are being spoon fed only the things google wants us to see based on our "click" history! 

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
I use three (free) programs to lessen the effect of tracking. 

1.  SUPERAntiSpyware

2.  Spybot

3.  Avast

The first two go after tracking cookies.  Add ons put into your computer without permission so "they" know where you've been and how often.  You'd be amazed at how many "cookies' you can gather just searching for repair parts.  Was looking for winch parts awhile back and now get all sorts of ads in the side bars for winches.  Cleaned out over 200 cookies. 

But, that's where a lot of your passwords are stored for the most visited sites and deletion may cause you to have to look up the pass words.
Stevem

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
"Free" is good...safety is better!  Will look those up, as well, Steve.