alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Greetings from E. Texas  (Read 32538 times)

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
Greetings from E. Texas
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
I've just posted a question but I figured I'd stop by here and say 'Hey!'   ;D  My husband bought a TK 1600 sawmill a little over a year ago and we're doing our best at getting a business going.  Hubby refuses to enter into the Technology Age so I'm the one who hits the computer for info.  I sure hope everyone will forgive my ignorance...I'm learning.  I look forward to meeting some great people and learning as much as is humanly possible!  Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to share in this community! 

Blessings to you all!
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline joasis

• Circle sawyer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Greetings from E. Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:15:39 PM »
Welcome to the club, we are glad to have you!
Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma
    405 853 1563

If anyone has any issues, I can be reached at the number above, anytime.

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
I hate technology too!!  But if you don't use it, you miss out on some much!!

Glad you jumped in!!

Scott (new people.....WOOHOO!) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Frank Pender - AKA "Tail Gunner"

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
    • www.TanglewoodTimber@aol.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:56:26 PM »
I am vesry gald we have some women around here to help keep Kirk in line. ::) ;D ;D

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:34:40 AM »
LOL Frank!  I'm a mom of 7 kids, ranging from 26 to 7 yrs old.  I KNOW how to use a switch!
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:48:01 AM »
That will straiten anyone out. :o   Oh welcome to the forum.

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:25:49 AM »
*curtsy*  Thank you, kind sir!  You have no idea...or maybe you do...how much I've learned in here.  I am a mild Facebook junkie and now I have a new addiction:  The Sawmill Forum.   ;D  My husband now knows who I'm talking about when I say, "Mr. Frank says 'this'."  or "Mr. Harold says 'that'."  And everyone has been so patient with me and my ignorance.  Fortunately, there is a cure for ignorance.  I haven't done anything downright stupid...yet.   ;)

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
im glad to have you here its a frendly place. & we try not to say anything you couldnt repeat to grandma
course some o them grandmas was tough
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »
LOL Mike!!!  You made me think of my husband's grandma.  After the first time she met me, she called Willie over to her.  She was about 4'9", grandmotherly plump and had a real deep voice.  She made Willie kneel down in front of her "so I can look at your eyeballs."  "Boy...", she said, "I like this one.  If you do anything...and I mean ANYTHING to run her off, I'm gonna whoop you like a red-headed step child.  You hear me?"  I remind my dear husband of that sometimes.   ::)  Grandma H is gone now...but I tell him she's was just mean enough to come back to do what she said!  We'd all be a mess if it weren't for them 'rough grandma's'!   ;)

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
I hope y'all don't mind...but I'm a proud momma with a large family and I would like to introduce y'all to them.  They are part of who I am so...here's a pic of most of the family.  Trying to get everyone in the same place at one time is sometimes difficult. 

Back: Derek (23), Maston(11), DeAnna(14), me.  Front: Gracie(9), Willie, Marcus(7).  Not pictured: Candice (26)and Mixon(18).

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 10:21:21 AM »
Good looking family SS.  You might want to have Willie cut a couple of big sticks for those girls.  Gonna need them to beat the boys off pretty soon.
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
LOL Steven!  Sticks?  This here Momma teaches her girls to use knives and guns!  Us girls can nearly 'bout out-shoot any male that lives here and lots that visit.  Plus, the boys seem to be developing a real protective streak for their sisters, too.  I do, however, have a large stick in my kitchen.  I call it my "ugly stick".  If I hit you with it...you gonna be ugly!   8)  Little saying my dad taught me. 

Thanks for the compliment, kind sir!  I am very proud of my children.  And, I reckon I better mention my 3 grandsons, too!  (bad Mawmaw!) 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »
Knives and Guns  :o :o :o   

Boy oh Boy are you going to fit in around here!   :D :D

Looks like 8 days on the road put me behind the curve here.  Lots of reading to do to catch up.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
LOL Kirk.  I ain't your usual female.  I've helped Willie change out more motors/transmissions than I can count.  Break my own horses.  If I kill it...I skin it.  Have little patience with "prissy females", "women drivers" or females that play head games. (really ANYONE who plays head games.)  >:( 

I am trying to teach my girls that a REAL woman is one who can do what needs to be done and ain't afraid to get dirty doing it...and then clean up real nice.  My 14 yr old is becoming my new mechanic.  For her 13th birthday we got her own set of tools and toolbox, a 20 gauge shotgun and a very pretty ring.   ;)  Her Poppa (what the kids call Dad) gave her a '71 Mustang which she is in the process of tuning/fixing up.  She and the boys have now been hired by one of Willie's customers to peel pine poles for his new barn.  100 poles at $1 each; 3 kids peeling = $33.33 ea.  De says she's gonna buy spark plugs, plug wires with hers.  Maston is putting his into his "16 gauge savings fund".  Boogie is gonna put his in his wallet.   :)  Boogie is Down Syndrome but not to a severe degree.  He works with Willie at the mill and is becoming quite proficient at knowing a which dimension of lumber goes in which stack.  And that extra strength that seems to come with Down Syndrome is quite helpful out there!  The two little ones have been dubbed "Doodle Bugs" by a friend whose Dad used to have a mill:  they sack up sawdust and sell for .50/bag to relatives.  Although Gracie has just figured out that I might be able to take some sacks to the small, community grocery store where I work and sell them.  lol  I love my kids!

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 08:28:06 AM »
Oh!  I need to correct something, too.  Willie has a TK 1220 mill.  Not 1600.  Harold, however, has now put a bug in Willie's brain concerning building a larger mill.  Well...I'm intrigued with the idea, too.  Was the subject of our conversation this morning over coffee.   ::)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
SS make sure you dont overlook that fine Boe-Dark wood they have in TX. 

I cut a ton of it up hear and the right boards bring $20 a board foot! 

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »
Kirk...last yr I found instructions for making my own long bow.  Was gonna use hickory and then I got suggestions to use Boe-Dark.  Can't find it around here ANYWHERE!  Dad says it used to be everywhere but I reckon with all the logging it's all but extinct.  I've found that a person has to be over the age of 65 to even know what the heck I'm talking about.  Still ain't made that bow yet, either.  Was kinda hoping SOMEONE could find my Boe-dark.  (and is that the correct spelling?  Maybe if I knew what one looked like I might could spot one somewhere.) 

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 08:20:57 AM »
http://www.suite101.com/content/the-bodark-tree-a182907

Aha!  Isn't it amazing what a little research and knowledge can do?  I think I DO know where some Boe-dark is!  And Maston just suggested a relation between this and the wild lemons we have around here.  Also, thorny and bushy.  Might I be able to make a bow from a wild lemon?  We have plenty on our 5 acres...thanks to one I tried to grow, thought I killed and chunked in the back of the pasture.  Hmmm....

How big do these trees get?

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »
We have Boe-Dark, or Osage Orange in our parts that are 5' diameter!  We grow them straight and tall!

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
Enterprising bunch of off spring.  The kids could bundle firewood off the mill and sell it for camping wood if you've got some kind of store front to use.  I do that with a lot of my mill waste off my front porch.  I live on a road to a lot of camping sites.  Ain't enough to live on but it's money and a place to get rid of the waste wood.

Just saying
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »
Steven, I work at a small, community grocery store.  My boss has told me that I can display pieces of furniture I make with Willie's slabs and the kids can sell firewood and sawdust, too.  I'm trying to do like when we butcher hogs:  use/keep everything but the squeal?  Use all of a log we can! 

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »
Careful what you say around them hogs!  They have a way of squeeling on you!   :D :D

We sell bags of hickory sawdust for smoking on the grill.  1 large ziplock bag fetches $5.

Boe-Dark sawdust brings $4 a lb! 

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 06:48:37 AM »
Haven't had any hickory brought in to mill...but if we do I'll keep that price in mind!  Wow!

Kirk...If I can find those directions for making my own long bow again...I just might ask you to send me a limb.  Be thinkin' on a price for a piece about 3" across and about 6' tall.  Figure in S&H, too.  Unless I can locate a tree locally...I might holler at ya!

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »
so what happened to SS
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »
No clue.  Computer failure?