alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description alt image description

Author Topic: Willie whittlin' down a big log  (Read 24711 times)

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
Willie whittlin' down a big log
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:14:05 AM »
Here's a big log that Willie is cutting down to size to fit through the mill.  More pics later...when I have lots of time to upload with my sloooooow dial up internet. 

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline mike p

• Senior Contributor
  • adicted to the aroma of oak
Re: Willie whittlin' down a big log
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
looks like a lot of whittling
Eagle's Nest Tree farm & Sawmill
BSA Scoutmaster Retired
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
 too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson 1802
 No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline HaroldCR - AKA Fla.-Deadheader

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »

SS, the mill we built would handle that, NO SWEAT.  ;D ;D

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »
I like to split those logs in half with the chainsaw then stand um up on the mill and start sawing. Lots or quarter sawn lumber that way. ;D

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 07:29:25 AM »
I was only out there for a bit, but I think he cut about 6 or 8" off one side and then some off the other side.  Had ALL the kids out there helping plus the tractor.  I think he got too hot doing all this.  He felt like "poo-poo" the next day. 

Harold, every now and then I say something about building a mill so I can see what Willie's been thinking about.   ;)  I can tell you this much...the build is going on in his head.  I might not hear anything else about it for a couple mths...and then BAM!  He'll start walking around the place picking up this or asking a friend if they have "that".  Uh-huh...he's gonna build one.  I know it. 

One of our friends/customers has made a suggestion to Willie about a 'design change' for this TK mill.  Looking at the front of the head, the supports at the top are horizontal and prevent the saw head from cranking up another two inches or so.  Willie and Thumper figure if you cut them and weld them in a vertical position, you'd get better support AND those extra couple inches.  It would look like this:
with the motor behind this support.  (hope I'm being clear about this)  I think this job is slated for sometime this coming week. 

Also!  The benefits of having a 'talkative' wife:  I was at work yesterday when a man came in and I was on the phone with motel customer.  The man just stands there and looks at me...kinda funny...while I'm on phone.  I get off the phone and start ringing up his purchase...he's still looking at me.  Hasn't said a word.  Then..."What kind of work does your husband do?"   
:-\  "Ummm...he has a small sawmill." 
"Does he want some large Black Walnut?"
 :o  "Ummm...SURE!"  (thinking to self about the large order he's doing at the moment...)  "But let me call him and you can talk to him...ok?"
"Ok."
I call Willie, hand the phone to the man, Chuck, (he's now introduced himself) and we find out he has a tree service.  He's having problems with his current people who are supposed to remove trees from people's yards when he cuts them. "I'll put all the wood you can handle in your yard if you'll come get it in a timely manner.  All you have to do is cut me something every now and then."  For the Black Walnut, he wants Willie to cut him a mantle.  We can have the rest: 6 large trees...Chuck said he and I wouldn't be able to put our arms around one of them!  Willie's son has our log truck at the moment and Chuck says he's not gonna cut the walnuts till Willie gets his truck back.  That ought to be Monday.  WOOO HOOO!  Ain't God great?! 

Still not enough time to post more pics....gotta get ready for church!  Y'all have a most blessed day with The Lord today!
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
Amen, Amen, AMEN!

I love those kind of deals!

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »

Yep, you're a natural.  Proud to make your acquaintance.  8) 8) 8)

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:21:32 AM »
*curtsy to my gentleman friends*  Thank you, fine sirs!!!

Well...Chuck with the black walnut is gonna have to wait at least another day.  Scooter, Willie's son, broke the boom on the log truck yesterday.  BIG pine.  He's bringing the truck home this evening and they are gonna install another boom that Willie has "layin' around".  People just bring this stuff to him, for some reason.   ;D  So...hopefully...Lord willing...Willie will be getting the walnut tomorrow. 

There was another guy who came in the store a few days ago whom I got into conversation with.  He said he heard of a friend of his asking about anyone who had a sawmill.  Says he has about 100 pines he wants to get rid of.  I reminded him that we don't have the finances to buy timber at the moment.  He thinks his friend just wants the timber gone.  So...I'm trying to track down "the friend" to see what he wants done.  Willie is starting to remind me that he's only one man with 'small people' helping him and he's getting alot to do!  lol  This got me to thinking the other day:  I'm always telling people to be careful what you ask for...'cause you just might get it.  When Willie first got this sawmill, I started praying, asking God to bless this business.  Uh-huh.  He's blessed it, alright!  Now, I'm reminded of another, earlier lesson I THOUGHT I had learned: be specific when asking God for things.  Just HOW busy do ya want to be?  Just HOW blessed do ya want to be?  Hmmm?  And I was talking about getting more business cards and flyers printed up.  Willie said, "NO!"  Says me talking to every body I meet is advertising enough!   ::)  Just tryin' to help out my honey!   ;)

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
You are experiencing exactly what happen here.  I DO NOT advertise or promote anymore! 

I have hundreds of logs laying here needing cut and cant keep up if I wanted to. 

Power company dropped off another 100 t-poles and they all have 5lbs of copper to be pulled off!  Nothing like a double whammy to put money in the pocket!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »

What'll you pay for a good Sawyer, Kirk ???  ;) ;) ;D ;D

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
I live in the communist state of Illinois and cant afford to hire anyone with the current workers comp laws!    >:(

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 03:27:52 PM »
FWIW

Be sure that the tree service guy tells you what kind of wood he brings!  He gets to see the leaves and you don't.  'Urban" wood can be anything, not just what is found locally.  Else we might have to start a "mystery tree" section.

Walnut can be very lucrative, depending on species.  
Check here but understand this is mostly "Oregon" black walnut.  http://www.gobywalnut.com/
Goby just bought a new Woodmizer band mill that will cut 60" wide "because the kerf on a chain mill was costing him too much money"  He pays $4/bdf for green slabs 40+ inches wide and 8+ feet  long.  

A lot of walnuts are grafted.  The root stock is black walnut and the rest something else.  The graft portion is big $$$ if you can find the market with wood turners and furniture makers.  

Walnut sawdust must be kept away from horses.  http://www.understanding-horse-nutrition.com/black-walnut-tree.htmlIt will kill them.  It also kills/suppresses other plants/weeds.  

Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »

Kirk, you can hire "illegal Aliens", eh ??

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »
Thats what there pressing for out there. :laugh:

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 04:25:18 AM »

No es problema.  Se hable englis. ??  ;D ;D ;D

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
Steven...great advice!  I was just telling Willie yesterday that I needed to research Black Walnut prices for when he gets these trees and gets them milled.  Just ran into a cabinet maker yesterday (coincidence?...I think not!)  He wants to know when we get the trees milled and he says he has friends in cabinetry.   ;D  Didn't even think about the grafting!  Did NOT know that about walnut dust!  We do have horses and Willie is fixing fences so we can let horses out into where Mill Yard is.  I do know that green walnut juice will kill ring worm...and burn the poo out of you if you get it on you and then you get into sun!  I have 3 quarter size, white spots on back of my neck from Willie 'dr-ing' me when we first started dating.  He neglected to tell me to stay out of the sun!   :o  What do you think dust would do if sprinkled in garden?

On other species of trees we might get from this man:  Pine is really the MAIN species around here.  Most of what people are wanting out of their yards is pine and oak.  We've employed a metal detector at the mill for finding nails or wire in trees.  Willie has found he doesn't really like trees out of people's yards.  (which reminds me...need to get new batteries for detector...mental note) 

Don't know exactly when we're gonna get those trees, anyhow.  Scooter brought the log truck home yesterday but it's looking like the extra boom Willie had isn't going to fit.  Of course, I'm sure the guys have a plan to make it fit...I'm just not privy to their plans.  Scooter is coming over this morning so they can work on it.  (which also reminds me...I promised him home made biscuits and gravy for breakfast this morning...better get out of here pretty quick   ::)

Wow, Kirk!!!  Wood AND copper!!!  You, my friend, are blessed!!!  Hmmm...I wonder what our electric company does with their poles?  What do YOU do with the poles?  Aren't they creosoted? 

Hiring help?  I am constantly telling our kids they are not only tax deductions...but free 'forced' labor force.   >:D  Having a teen aged girl is good, too.  Sawmill helps weed out the wimp boys who might come to see her.  De is talking to new young man, now.  She told him the other day that he's gonna have to come see her...and help Poppa at the mill.  He said that would be noooo problem.  He can handle it.  LOL  Uh-huh...we'll see about that!   ;)  I've done some 'research' on the boy...he ain't known for his "work ethic". 

Update on the kids' pole peeling deal:  Thumper says for Willie to slab off 3 sides of the poles and the kids only have to peel one side.  I suggested he's making it too easy on the kids.  Thumper says he's making it easy on himself, building his barns.  But he says he's paying the same price.  Old Men!  Sheesh!

Y'all look for a question I'm gonna post on tractor...............

Offline sawmill squaw

• Major Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »
Checked out your links, Steve.  Wow...horses don't have to ingest the sawdust...just walk on it!  And from reading description of 'laminitis' it's what we call 'foundering', as when horse eats too much feed.  You can see evidence of this in rings of horse's hooves.  'Cept, in the case of walking on walnut dust, it can progress to be fatal!  VERY interesting!  Again, thank you soooo much!  I would have never known!  Am now wondering if I should keep shoes on myself and the kids while Willie is milling this walnut.  They are constantly playing in Poppa's sawdust when the mill is shut down.  And sack up the dust when he's finished.  So much to ponder, now.   :-\

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:35:54 PM »
Most of our poles are only creasote the first 8 feet.  The rest is good southern yellow pine and makes great decking for trailers and construction boards. 

Offline Carl Middleton

• Senior Contributor
    • www.bktimbermill.com
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »
Spanish is mandatory in DC area on job apps  ???

Offline Kirk Allen

• Administrator
  • Old Timers Club
  • In God We Trust!
    • Vindicator Nozzles
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 02:43:55 PM »
Steve,
Did WM build a custom mill to cut 60" wide or do they have a new one I have not heard about?

Offline SDB777

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 08:46:05 PM »
Steve,
Did WM build a custom mill to cut 60" wide or do they have a new one I have not heard about?

That's funny right there!!!

Guess the chainsaw mill might be a good idea to keep around....

Scott (got more saws then brains) B
Just got my website up/running:    www.slabsblanksandboards.com
Where I get 95% of my chainsaw needs:    www.pinnaclearboristsupplies.com/

Offline Stevem

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »
Steve,

My understanding from Art at Gobys is it's a NEW saw and he was one of the first to buy it.  I went to both Woodmizer sites and could find no reference to it.  Doubt it's one of a kind though.  Not Woodmizers style. 

I asked if it was a "splitter" like the L_M rig http://www.lmequipmentusa.com/ls2000.htm but he said it was just a big band saw and could cut slabs any thickness with the thin kerf. 
Stevem
Because you can doesn't mean you should!

• Old Timers Club
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »

Wouldn't be that hard to make a wide Band Mill. I helped advise a guy at the "other place", that had built one to saw 56" wide, I think it was. He couldn't get it to saw well. Just had to put decent guides on it and line it out correctly. Now, it's sawing fine.  ;D ;D

I'm trying to get my metal working shop roof on. Any one need specialty stuff, just contact me.  ;D ;D ;D  Not necessary to "Hable espanol".   :D :D :D ;D ;D